Chapter 7

Chapter 7

The Holidays

October 2012 Continued

October 26th 2012

"We should invite August," Marie says as we're planning our annual Halloween party.

"Wonderful magnificent idea my darling," I respond as I pull out my cell. August is a guy we went to fifth grade with and remained friends with for all of these years.

Using my cell phone I shoot him a text before deciding to call him. Just to get a clear answer, also knowing it's been forever since we've had a voice-to-voice conversation.

Approximately since middle school. Before his voice changed. Of course, like most people in my generation, he doesn't answer his cell. I honestly expected that.

My phone instantly buzzes and goes off. It's my friend Cassandra I went to cosmetology with. Who also happens to be August's girlfriend. I open the text message and become horrified by what I'm seeing.

"Why the fuck are you calling my man?!" the text read. I hadn't spoken to August in over 8 weeks. I pay attention to how often I speak to him since he's been in a relationship just so I don't offend Cassandra.

August and I used to be extremely close for months when we began talking again. However, when they began dating we barely speak. It's on both ends.

On his end, he barely speaks to me so he doesn't show any sort of disrespect towards Cassandra. On my end, it's because if it was me in a relationship I wouldn't want my boyfriend talking to another female in the way we do. About life problems and comforting the other person as best friends.

When you enter a relationship that person is your new opposite-sex best friend. I did everything I could to respect Cassandra and her boundaries in her relationship. Apparently, I didn't do so well enough.

"Listen, I know me and August have been friends for almost ten years now... But if you don't want me talking to him I will gladly block him right now. He has other means of reaching out to me if he ever needs to within your permission." I texted back.

"No........ I just.... I don't like you calling him. Or texting him a lot." she texts

"Are there other ways I have upset you that I don't know about?" I ask "So I can avoid upsetting you in the future and keep my distance from August so that it doesn't create a wedge between you two?"

October 29th 2012

A few days have passed now and I never heard anything else. Sucks I had to lose my friend over some dumb drama but I don't ever want to be the reason someone breaks up. Not a reason like that.

It's the day of my family's annual Halloween party. Sucks knowing my friend wont be able to come due to some outlandish jealousy but it isn't my relationship.

First I get dressed into a white lacey shirt, with my brunette and blonde hair falling just below my shoulders in waves. White ripped up jeans paired with silver sparkly pumps. Finishing my costume off with a white faux fur coat, angel wings, and a halo headband.

Then dressing May in a Bumble bee costume. I also invited Drake. Just because I don't have feelings for him romantically doesn't mean that we can't still be friends.

Finally, Marie changes into a red dress with devil horns and a borrowed pair of my red ankle boots. Our matching costumes as the devil and an angel.

Both of us walk outside where the party will be taking place. Setting out the deserts Marie had brought, and the deserts my family had bought at the store or made. "Is that everything?" I ask Marie thinking back to the list of items in my head.