Revelation

"I'm home," Hisashi said opening the door, "Brought Shika with me too,"

"Ah, Shikamaru. I haven't seen you in a long time," Inko greeted with a smile.

Shikamaru smiled back, "Yeah, it has been a long time,"

"Izuku, this is my friend, Shikamaru," Hisashi introduced.

"Hi!" Izuku said warmly.

Shikamaru said nothing and gave Izuku a calculating look before smiling, "You have grown quite a lot since I last saw you,"

"Huh?" Izuku tilted his head in confusion.

"Mah, you were just a kid back then so I don't expect you to remember,"

"You haven't visited ever since Hisashi left," Inko scolded.

Shikamaru laughed, "I was busy,"

"Busy or lazy?" Inko pointed out causing Shikamaru to chuckle, "Well have a seat, I'll get some snacks." Shikamaru obliged and followed Izuku to the living room while Hisashi went after Inko.

"I didn't want to say this in front of your parents because it would be too troublesome but do you really think you are fooling anyone with that fake smile?" Shikamaru asked.

Izuku's face slightly fell, "Wh-what do you mean?"

"Kid please, I have seen enough criminals and victims to know when someone is faking it,"

Izuku drooped slightly, "You won't tell my parents, will you?"

"It would be good if they knew,"

Izuku drooped even further. He didn't want his father to know that he was still faking his emotions. Hisashi had been trying so hard to make things up to Izuku, "But... it is too troublesome. You will feel more horrible and Hisashi will talk my ear off so just tell me why you are faking your emotions," Shikamaru said.

Izuku bit his lip. On one hand, he didn't feel like telling his secrets to someone he just met, even though Shikamaru was his father's friend. However, on the other hand, Shikamaru would probably let Hisashi know that he was faking it which would cause more trouble. Outright telling Shikamaru seemed to be the best choice, "If I told my parents that I'm not happy it would just make them sadder. I'm already useless. I don't want to be more useless by making someone worry,"

Shikamaru nodded and rested his neck on the sofa. He closed his eyes, "And why do you think you are useless?"

"Everyone always said that," Izuku said in a small tone, "Kacchan, the teachers, all the students, everyone,"

"And I'm telling you that you aren't useless. Your parents, your dad's police contacts, me, all of would agree that you aren't useless. By your logic, you should take our word instead. So why do you believe you are still useless?"

"Because I'm quirkless too!"

"So?"

That took Izuku off guard, "What do you mean?"

"So what? Only Pro heroes can use their quirks or those with special permission like some police officers. For others, I included, quirks are just a dormant feature that's never really used. People with subtle quirks like Inko-san can use it regularly without problem but you don't see your dad spewing fire everywhere," Shikamaru pointed out.

Izuku looked to set argue but shut up. Shikamaru did have a point, "So there's no problem being quirkless?"

"Nope, plus you are intelligent so you will do fine. Look at me!"

"You're quirkless too!?"

"No, my quirk just doesn't help me in daily life," Shikamaru deadpanned.

Izuku fell at that, "But what is your quirk?"