Roles Reversed

Adrien

Adrien paced his room like a hungry lion in a cage. After the brief conversation with Félix the previous night, he'd barely slept more than an hour. His cousin had left him with quite the puzzle, and that, along with the kiss from Marinette, had screwed up his brain. Looking at the time, Adrien picked up his phone and dialled his cousin's number. It was midday back in Paris and he was sure Félix would be free to talk.

"Adrien, any news yet?" Félix greeted.

He shook his head. "No, my father hasn't called and I haven't heard anything from Marinette. Seriously, Fé, you need to tell me what this is all about!"

"How do you think she'll contact you?" Félix asked, clearly ignoring Adrien's main query. "Don't you think it's about time you come clean about this 'mystery texter'? She's not stupid and it won't be long until she gets your number and realises it's you she's been sharing all her secrets with."

Adrien sighed. Wasn't that just the question? Why hadn't he come clean yet? The prospect of her knowing terrified him. It was too far gone now to end well if she found out; his window of opportunity had well and truly passed.

"It's just... once she knows it's me it'll change our relationship and I really like where we are at the moment. She's open with me, and funny and cute—"

"Or you're just scared to lose your make out buddy. Come on, Adrien, I think she might actually like you. You need to just give it up, accept the consequences then grovel long and hard at her feet! The longer you allow this charade to go on the worse it's going to be when you're found out."

A scoff left Adrien's lips only to be sucked back in when he realised what Félix had just said. How the hell did he know that?

"Make out buddy? Something you need to share with the class, Félix?"

A few bangs were heard on the other side of the phone; the sign that whatever had just happened had caused quite the mess — if the crash didn't prove it, the obscene cursing certainly did.

"Oh - um - just a lucky guess I suppose. So tell me... was she a good kisser?

"Like I'm going to tell you that. Oh, and by the way, you lost your ability to tell a decent lie from the moment you got with Kagami. So, explain! Now!"

Adrien heard a deep suck of air from the other side of the phone and was almost worried his cousin was about to inhale the damn thing. Félix's voice returned. "Don't kill me okay?"

"Félix!" Adrien growled, his cousin sighing through the phone. "There's a hole you're digging which is getting deeper by the second. Explain!"

"I may have sent someone to keep an eye on you."

Adrien frowned. "What? Why? Félix, why the hell would you want to do that? Listen, if you were that invested in the idea of me and Marinette kissing, why not just send us on a double date?"

"Pfft, we've all tried that; but that's not the point. Your father has this plan which involves you and Marinette. I just wanted to keep an eye on you both — that's all."

"What type of plan? My father couldn't arrange a piss up in a brewery — that's why he has Nathalie."

"I'm getting there. Just give me a minute. I want to enjoy what's left of my life before you murder me. For the record, Kagami can mourn me for 30 years, then she's allowed to move on."

"Félix!!" Adrien shouted down the line.

"I may have sent a Sentibeing over to keep a check on you."