Chapter Four

Chapter Four

Nathan's POV

Dejected, I shifted into my wolf and took off running into the woods. My heart was burning like fire as I continued to run. Blocking out all the voices from my surroundings, I focused on running to wherever my instincts took me.

Throughout the run, despite the exhaustion which slowly built up, Evelyn is the only thought in my mind which kept me surviving.

My heart was filled with terror and anguish that things have turned out this way because of the unknown Seer who have helped Jones. Is my mate fated to be faced with this mishap? Is she really fated to be tortured, living a life even worse than death?

What has my mate done to deserve this? It should have been me, not her.

My paws began to burn as I ran up the slope in the direction of the cliff. When I finally reached the familiar rocky path, I skidded to a stop. I rested my paws on the ground as my eyes gazed across the entire pack.

It is a place where I found peace when I needed to be alone.

I thought after settling down with Evelyn and winning her heart, I will never have to come back here again and let my tears wet the place.

But I was wrong.

I have failed to protect her, I let her fall into great danger. I was the reason why the silver was directed at her. If she hadn't met me, she will never have to suffer a pain worse than death.

A tear landed on my paw as I stayed still, not bothering whether anyone would see me cry. As a man, shedding tears is a sign of weakness. But at this moment, I couldn't care anymore.

My mate is still unconscious. And the fact that even after Jones's death, he still didn't let my mate live in peace. It has made me crumble beneath him.

He has won, and I have lost. I have lost the only precious thing in this world who was suffering because of the consequences.

Evelyn, my mate..

I let out another painful howl, filled with despair and anguish. Tears slid down my fur, wetting the ground beneath me.

My body shook vigorously as I let my guard down and cried in pain. If my mate cannot pull through this ordeal, I have nothing else to keep me living in this world any longer.

I will die along with her..

Paws hit the road came from a distance as I picked up footsteps headed in my direction. I tensed when silence followed, my head slowly whipping around as I noticed Shawn's grey coated wolf had his head bowed with respect.

Alpha, the Seer requests for your presence in the cells. She said she has a way to wake your mate and relieve her from the pain.

My eyes widened slightly at the news, not letting my guard down at her words. For all I know, she may be trying to harm my mate secretly or even extending the pain which Jones may have instructed her before his death.

I need you to gather her background information. I simply cannot trust her words that she will save my mate when she has helped Jones before. I commanded him, he nodded and jogged back to the pack house.

My eyes flickered back to the stretch of pack houses, the pack members doing their usual routine. Across the forests was the pack house where my mate was currently on the bed, my eyes rested on a particular window where my mate is inside.

I closed my eyes and took in a deep breath. I will wait for you, Evelyn. No matter how long it takes for you to wake up, I will continue to wait.

xxxx

"Eric, in this world, is there a plant which could be made into a medicine, making it torment the person who consumes it, living a life worse than death?" I questioned, tapping my fingers on the pinewood table absentmindedly.

He mulled over my words, a look of realisation flashed across his eyes. "It all makes sense now. All the effects are linked to this deadly plant.."

My brows furrowed in despair. "What do you know about this plant?"

"I remember I have came across it on a medical book when I was still studying medicine. This special plant has a nickname, Deadly Poison. No one knows its true name because up till today, it is still unknown. However, studies have shown that it exists in this world. Though, it is hard to obtain as it requires determination of a person who has desires to acquire it."

He continued, "The effects of this plant matches the Luna's condition. It explains why she has been going through so much pain even though the silver was supposed to wear off after a while. But it has lasted for six months.."

His eyes widened in alarm as the dots began to connect in his intelligent mind. His lips quivered as his body froze out of the blue. "What's going on?" I shook his shoulders, forcing him to stay focus.

A gasp escaped from his lips, his face paled upon realisation. "Alpha, this plant has no antidote. A person who consumes it cannot last for more than three years."

My body weakened at his words, my knees buckling before me as I dropped to my knees. Three years. My mate can only live for another three years before she dies.

"Alpha." He bent down to pull me up but I stilled momentarily, ignoring the voices from the surroundings. "Leave me alone, Eric." I ordered, footsteps left the room in an instant as he obliged.

Tears flowed down my cheeks uncontrollably, wetting my shirt. My hands reached up to my face as I let it out and cried, disheartened by the fact that my mate won't be able to last after three years.

Why is the Moon Goddess so cruel? Why does she have to take away my mate from me when she is still young? She has yet to turn twenty and she is going through so much. And now, she is going to leave this world in a few more years.

It's all my fault..