Chapter Fourteen

Chapter Fourteen

Evelyn's POV

"Elliot is such a bright little child, what a pity he might not be able to walk again." I said softly, glancing down at my hands wrapped inside the velvet gloves.

His hand found its way to mine as he intertwined our fingers together. I looked up to see him shooting me a small smile, "He may not be able to walk again, but he is really positive with life that he hopes he would be able to walk again."

I could notice his eyes glistening with tears as he wiped it off with his thumb, pretending that it had not happened.

I wonder what was bothering him, why does he always seem emotional whenever I was around? Did he have something that he was hiding from me?

Instinctively, I caressed his cheek warmly and gave him one of my sweetest smile. I parted my lips to speak, "Why do you always seem to have something bothering you, Nathan? You know I'm always here for you, right?"

He nodded, brushing off his sadness in a split second. His other hand clamped onto mine tightly, his thumb caressing the back of my hand absentmindedly, "I know you will always be here by my side. Don't ever leave me, babe."

I smiled and bobbed my head up and down, squeezing his hands with reassurance. "I promise I will never ever leave you, I will stay by your side till my last breath."

Tears brimmed in his eyes again as he looked away and took in a deep breath. Did I say something wrong again?

He turned to look at me, his eyes filled with love and adoration, "Don't ever say such things that is relevant to death, babe. I have lost you once, I don't wish to lose you again."

I released my hands from his and held onto each side of his face, staring into his eyes intently. "What are you so afraid of, Nathan? I'm here with you now, isn't that all it matters?"

He nodded, engulfing me into a tight embrace. He sniffed, revealing a vulnerable side of him which I have never seen before. Seeing him behaving in this way made me feel somehow disheartened.

What exactly was he hiding from me that made him suffered so much? Why was he carrying the heavy burden all by himself?

I needed to know the truth, and the only way for me to do so was to seek the truth from the woman he has captured in the cells.

xxxx

My footsteps staggered past the rough concrete as I approached the last cell. Inside the cell was the same woman who was tortured brutally by Nathan.

He said she had sinned, what crime had she committed? What plot was she involved in that caused me to suffer in the deep sleep with the panic attacks every now and then?

"You are here." Her voice echoed across the large cell, it was pitch dark and I couldn't see her face clearly. She slowly appeared from the dark, her knees knelt on the ground as she hung her head in shame.

"I just need an explanation. Nathan might be keeping things from me, but I want to know the truth that is keeping him in so much pain right now."

She looked up at me with a serious look in her eyes, "Are you sure you wish to know everything, Luna Evelyn? Alpha Nathan has been keeping the truth from you in order to keep you happy for the rest of your life. Do you wish for me to reveal the truth?"

I hesitated for a moment, balling my fists tightly as I was caught in a dilemma. He had wanted to hide from me so that I would be happy. But, how far can happiness bring me if he is always suffering alone, tearing on his own whenever he looked at me?

Determined to know the truth, I answered firmly, "Yes, I wish to know. I can't bear to see him to continue to suffer like this on his own while I am kept in the dark."

She heaved a huge sigh. "As you wish, Luna. The truth is, you won't able to live past the three years mark." Her words hit me so badly that I felt my knees weakened as I crashed onto the ground. I was only left with three years to live in this world.

Is that why he has been so depressed despite trying to stay happy and be positive in front of me?

"Your body has been injected with a deadly kind of silver infused with the plant, Deadly Poison. It resulted in you to fall into a deep slumber and ignited the panic attacks for the past six months. Eventually, it had caused you to lose your wolf and at the same time, she passed on the Ice elemental powers to you."

I felt pain as images flashed across my mind. I remembered someone injecting the silver on me, causing me to faint. I shook my head, my head in my hands as I slowly processed her words, "How did you know so much?"

"As guilty as I am, I had played a part in the plot against you. Many years ago, I had helped Jones to make the medicine which had went into your body. If I had known that he would use it for the evil, I wouldn't have helped him, neither would I have revealed the location of the plant."

I gritted my teeth, my head hurting from the flashbacks repeatedly running across my mind.

The war. The rogues. The deadly silver.

Each of the memories rushed back to my mind as I groaned loudly in pain, feeling overwhelmed by the truth. The burn in my head rose as time goes by, causing me to scream in agony.

"What's going on?" A familiar voice rung in my ears, but something in my body was blocking everyone out of my mind. I couldn't think straight, my mind was in a mess.

And worst of all, I couldn't control myself anymore.