8 - The morning sun and... Kyojuro? KYOJURO!

"Don't go dying on me Kyojuro." Kyojuro was breathing heavily, the blow to the stomach had blood leaking through his uniform. "Even if you fight with the determination to sacrifice yourself. Everything is in vain, Kyojuro.That superb slash you inflicted. No matter how fierce. The wound will heal in an instant. But look at yourself. Your left eye crushed, your ribs are broken. Internal organs are also damaged.Usually those injuries are impossible to recover from. But if you are a demon those injuries can be recovered at a glance. To a demon, those are just scratches.No matter how hard you struggle humans cannot defeat demons." 

Tanjiro tried to get up again but I gripped his shoulders to stop him. I knew Kyojuro could handle this. In a single, heated blast, I heard flames burning off Kyojuro. 

"I..." Kyojuro raised his sword over his shoulder and donned an justice filled smile. "I will see my duties fulfilled! No matter what it takes. NO ONE SHALL DIE HERE!"

"NOW YOU HAVE TO BECOME A DEMON! WE CAN FIGHT EACH OTHER FOR THE REST OF ETERNITY!" Akaza grinned.

"I AM THE FLAME HASHIRA! KYOJURO RENGOKU! AND I WILL DEFEAT YOU!"

I heard the roar of fire as it charged at Akaza. The two powers collide creating an explosion, leaving my vision blurred. Kyojuro raised his sword to deliver the final blow but...

No...

Akaza's fist blew through his stomach. Right through. Blood spilled out of mouth as I felt myself choke up. 

"Kyo..." My eyes welled with dry tears. My throat was dry as pained as I let out a blood curdling scream. In one last attempt, Kyojuro pushed his blade into Akaza's neck. A punch was thrown at him but he caught Akaza's wrist and kept forcing the blade. The sun began to rise as Akaza desperately tried to escape but couldn't. Tanjiro broke free of my grasp and ran to his sword. I chased after him to stop him. I wasn't gonna lose two people I love today. He ran towards them with his sword.

"IF WE DON'T HELP HIM NOW IT WILL BE TOO LATE!" I drew my sword in a last ditch attempt to help Kyojuro and ran with Inosuke and Tanjiro. Akaza broke his hand off, sending a wind that restricted us moving any further. Akaza ran into the woods to avoid the Sun as I hurled my sword towards him like a spear.

"DON'T RUN FROM ME ASSHOLE! YOU MAY NOT ATTACK WOMEN BUT I SURE AS HELL WILL KILL YOU! FACE ME COWARD!" I screamed. I turned to see Kyojuro on his knees.

"THE DEMON SLAYER CORP IS ALWAYS FIGHTING YOU DEMONS IN THE DEAD OF NIGHT WHERE YOU HAVE THE ADVANTAGE!" Tanjiro yelled as Akaza ran."OUR WOUNDS DON'T HEAL IMMEDIATELY AND WHEN WE LOSE A LIMB IT'S GONE FOR GOOD! SO TURN AROUND AS FACE US YOU COWARD!  MR RENGOKU IS STRONGER THAN YOU'LL EVER HOPE YOU WILL BE! YOU DIDN'T WIN AGAINST HIM! HE KEPT EVERYONE SAFE!"

I knelt in front of Kyojuro with tears in my eyes.

"Don't go... please." He smiled softly as tears poured down my face. "Please..."

"Don't work yourself up like that." I heard Tanjiro sobbing as Kyojiro talked to us for one last time. "You'll reopen your wound and you'll die, that will be very bad, Young kamado."

He turned back to me and directed Tanjiro to join us. "I remember something i saw...in my visions of the past. Of the home where I was born. Visit House Rengoku. There is a collection of notes left by Flame swordsman of the past. My father read them often. But I didn't... So I have no idea of its contents. What you told me earlier about the Dance of the fire God. They may contain records of the Hinokami Kagura you mentioned."

"Kyojuro please! Can't you heal yourself with a breathing technique?"

"No, very soon I will be dead." I felt myself get choked up again. "Y/n, you remember my little brother Senjuro correct?"

"Vaguely but you-"

"Tell him to follow his heart. And tell my father to look after himself."

The blood spilled onto the ground and soaked into the dirt.

"And lastly, Young Kamado, about your sister. Tell her I believe in her, I accept her as part of our ranks. Your sister shed blood to protect the people from demons and anyone who does that, despite the contrary, is part of the demon slayer corp. So hold your head high. If you are feeling as if you are not enough, set your heart ablaze."

I hugged Kyojuro one last time.

"I'm sorry, Kyojuro..."

"You're a good kid, Y/n. You don't need to be sorry for anything." I pulled back from the hug and listened to what he had to say. " Young Kamado, Young Boar, Boy of yellow, Y/n, you will continue to rise through the ranks and end your aid as the next hashira. I believe in each and everyone of you." tears flooded faster than I could wipe them away. A pounding feeling in my head arose. Kyojuro smiled one last time, the brightest he had ever shown. This smile could light up Tokyo in a black out. He smiled one last time, before collapsing.

Zenitsu finally arrived but I couldn't listen to anything he said. My only thoughts were memories and the fact he was gone.

7 years old

I ran around outside as Makio tried to catch me. Dad was talking with Kyojuro about stuff.

"DAD HELP ME! MOM'S GONE CRAZY!" I hid behind his leg as my mom tried to catch me. She ducked around behind Dad and I ran.

"RUN YOUNG Y/N!" Kyojuro cheered me on.

"DON'T ENCOURAGE HER RENGOKU!" Mom yelled back. It's not much of a memory, but it's one of my favourites.

"STOP CRYING!" Inosuke yelled shakily. "HE BELIEVED IN US SO NOW ALL WE HAVE TO WORRY ABOUT IS GETTING THERE! SO STOP WEEPING! IT'S PISSING ME OFF!" 

My tears slowed, but didn't stop. I lost him. Dad lost him. Goodbye, Uncle Kyojuro.