11 - Check ins and an empty home

Later that day we met up with Tanjiro on the roof of his house.

"I'm telling you there's a demon in my house! I'm telling you it looked like this!" Inosuke flailed his arms around.

"Yeah... I totally believe you."

"There is a demon, though it didn't have the same sound as other demons. Not nails on a chalkboard, more like slithering."

"Mr Uzui and Zenitsu should be checking in soon."

"Zenitsu won't be coming." Dad appeared and faced away from us.

"Why not?"

"I feel bad about putting you all through this. It seems I was so desperate to rescue my family in time that I made some poor decisions. As it stands, Zenitsu is missing." My stomach dropped, first my moms now my friend. "There's been no contact since last night. You three should leave now. You're ranked too low for this. If the demon here turns out to be an upper rank you'll be dead weight. If you vanish from here they'll just assume that you are dead. Therefore, I'm continuing on my own."

"Dad wait-"

"Y/n you need to go home. Life is all about survival, take this chance to get out."

"What's the point of going home if there's no one to go home to!?"

"I'm sorry for putting you through this." Dad disappeared as Inosuke screamed for him to come back.

"Can he not put his trust in us? Is it because we're the lowest rank?"

"No you're not. You got promoted and so did I. I was a Kanoto before and now I'm Tsuchinoe. You can check with the marking on the back of your hand."

"Yeah, we're Kanoe now."

I didn't listen to their conversation. I just wanted to save my mothers and Zenitsu, wherever they are.

We waited for Tanjiro but Inosuke was getting impatient. He jumped up so his head was in the roof. 

"Hey tell the muscle mice to bring my sword as well."

He gave me a thumbs up and through me down my sword. I had my uniform underneath my makeshift kimono which was just my haori. I attached my sheath to my hip and we ran down the hallway. I heard something, a fight. A demon.

Sorry this one was so short.