• 49

『 LOYALTY 』{ irl }

『 LOYALTY 』
{ irl }

mae isn't very proud to admit which costume she settled for. but in her defense, nick was begging. because apparently, matt and chris refused to match with him each and every year since they were missing a fourth person.

not that she could blame them.

who would want to join them to make this costume?

"you guys are the teletubbies?" lorelai shouts, covering her mouth to keep herself from bursting out in laughter.

cora on the other hand has no shame. she started cackling the moment that the four of them exited the bedroom after getting dressed up in their matching costumes.

mae is dressed as tinky winky — the purple one.

nick is dipsy — the green one.

matt is laalaa — the yellow one.

and chris is po — the red one.

this weren't chosen based off of personality or anything. actually, the four of them spent an hour fighting over who gets which color. mae called dibs on purple the moment she agreed to participating in this stupid costume.

then, matt and nick fought over the green one. which nick obviously won. after that, chris and matt argued for the next thirty minutes over the red one. again, matt lost.

it was quite depressing to watch, honestly. as matt lost over and over no matter how hard he fought for the color he wanted.

but that's the triplets' entire relationship so it's fine. arguing and fighting is how they show their love.

"of course we're the teletubbiess!" nick says, clearly proud of his costume choice. "i've been begging matt and chris to go through with this idea for years. and they finally agreed if we could find a fourth person to do it with us."

mae sighs, "and i was the stupid one to agree."

"it's not stupid..." nick frowns and mae suddenly feels bad.

"no! no! no, of course not." mae tells him, wishing she could take back her words. "the costumes look amazing!"

"thank--"

suddenly, the doorbell rings.

mae smiles and runs to the door, swinging it open happily. she smiles when she sees the boy standing on the porch.

"kent!" she shrieks, englufing the poor boy in the tightest hug known to man.

kent grins, hugging her back. he nearly drops his gift from the impact of the hug. nick walks over to them and offers to take the gift from him. kent smiles and hands him the bag with a small 'thank you'.

mae walks kent into the kitchen with everyone else. he smiles at them and gives a small wave.

"guys, this is kent — my cousin." mae introduces, gesturing to her cousin with a wide grin. "kent, this is cora. lorelai. chris. matt. and nick."

as she lists off everyone's name, she points to the person that she introduces. each of them smile at him as they're pointed to. nick smiles the widest which doesn't go unnoticed by mae.

the group continues to hang out and talk as more and more people show up at the house.

some people, mae doesn't even remember inviting. but she's still happy regardless. normally, she prefers to be alone and keep to herself. but considering all of these people are here to see her and to celebrate her, she can't help but feel special.

after years of getting ignored, she can look around at this crowded room and still feel important.

"hey, mae."

mae hears as she's leaned against the wall in the living room. she turns around and sees chris grinning at her with two cups in his hands.

he offers one to her and she takes it. she takes a sip and instantly recognizes the flavor — it's blue hawaiian punch.

"what's it like to have your birthday so close to halloween?" he asks, leaning against the wall beside her. "you must've loved it as a kid."

"as a kid, yeah." she admits. "but as i got older, the excitement of the holiday eventually died down."

"how come?"

"i guess everything gets dulled as you age." she says before taking another sip out of the cup in her hand and chris does the same. "you're not a naive and innocent so you begin to see everything that's wrong rather than everything that's good."

"maybe you just need to relax a little bit." chris suggests. "quit worrying about everything and just let whatever happen happen. isn't that what children do? just go with the flow?"

she shrugs, "i guess you've got a point."

"how about we go to a park or something?" he says. "don't kids like that?"

she chuckles and chris can feel his heart stop beating in his chest at the sound of her laugh. "you want to go to a park?"

"we can play on the slide and the swings." chris tells her with a smile.

"aren't we too old for that?"

"honestly, i don't think you're ever too old to do something you enjoy."

"you have a point." mae tells him. "and when do you expect us to be able to go to a park all alone?"

"how about right now?"

"right now?"

"yeah." he says, setting his cup onto the nearest table and grabbing her by the hand. he gently pulls her to the front door.

"people will notice if we're gone."

"and? you're the birthday girl, they can't be mad at you."

"okay," she says with a laugh, "let's go be kids again."

ₓ˚. ୭ ˚○◦˚.˚◦○˚ ୧.˚ₓ
a/n : parks >>