Chapter 01: {The Photographer And The Award}

I've always been known as the most patient person amongst my group of friends. But now, as I sat here, in a room filled with my photography peers and many celebrities, I couldn't wait for the life of me. The more a ticking second passes by in my Cartier Secret Phoenix Décor watch, the more unnerved I became.

"Quit squirming in your seat Beyoncé, you're making me feel uneasy." hisses Kelly, my best friend and date for the night, in my ear. I look at her apologetically, and stop my movement. Only for me to start tapping my gloved-up hands on the table nervously. She rolled her eyes at me while suppressing her smile.

Many hushed whispers were heard through the room as everybody was conversating with one another quietly. I looked up as I felt myself being stared at, and met Saweetie's ecstatic gaze. I waved her over grinning excitedly and she came running my way. "I can't believe how far you've come! From a shoot photographer to a professional one with many accolades, co-signs, your own brand, many projects and awards and an insane catalog with a crazy amount of demand on you! I'm so proud of you I can shout it over the top of my lungs right now." she said giddily.

I bit my lip smiling to contain my bubbliness. "Not too shabby for a Texas girl who only had a Polaroid camera and a dream huh" I said as I nudged her smiling. "It feels good to be seen, and known for my achievements and talent."

She nodded her head and was about to respond when we saw Shawn, or mostly known as the rapper Jay Z, hitting the stage with Gigi Hadid behind him holding the award for my category. This is it; I could be taking it with me or going without it. And I'd rather the first option because I busted my ass to get to where I am. I am extremely competitive but also extremely grateful, so whatever happens will be for the best. And the best is me winning if you didn't figure that out quite yet.

"We're here today to celebrate an undeniably talented bunch of amazing photographers who provide nothing but top-notch content and work that reflect who they are. In my rapping field, we express ourselves through songs and tracks. And in theirs, they picture everything the mouth can't say, and what the eyes fail to see at times. So, let's have a look at the contestants in the Editorial category."

Even his speech sounds poetic. He easily managed to capture the crowd's attention and hold it for that long. He smirked cockily knowing he got what he wanted, which was just that. He is that conceited alright. The names started to roll along with trailers of our documentaries. I clasped both my friends' hands in anticipation as my name showed up. The pressure is getting wesser, or so they said.

"Now that we got to see the nominated talents out here. Let's get to the real thing and not hold y'all hostage any longer." Everybody chuckled and I'm almost close to running up to that stage to announce it myself. Lord just say it already! Gigi hands him the silver envelope and he takes it thanking her then finally opens it. Finally, damn!

He skims through the paper briefly then genuinely smiles as he reads the winner's name. Please let it be me, please let it be me. I send a quick prayer while closing my eyes then open them just in time for the announcement.

"I'm very honored to present this award to one of our own, to celebrate their creativity and the world they take us into through their lenses because after all Life Is But A Journey." I froze in my seat as Kelendria stood up from her seat to hug me just as Saweetie embraced me from the side. Jay was grinning from ear to ear just as everybody started to applaud me. "Yeaaaah! You come and get it B!"

I felt my eyes well up as I saw everyone's beaming faces and shining looks of pride. My emotions ran wild and deep, they always have, but now they're about to be spilled all over the place and on each camera. I take a deep breath as I hear Jay announcing me officially winning. "As we all figured it out, the International Photography Editorial Award goes to none other than my favorite girl, Beyoncé Knowles. Give it up for the number one hustler!" He starts applauding me just like the rest of the room and I feel so overwhelmed with happiness and joy.