prologue

She was handed his mobile phone by a nurse, who found it in his pocket, as it always was; he could never be separated from that gadget.

She tried suppressing her sobs upon seeing his wallpaper, but failed miserably. His wallpaper was a cute picture of them posing together, though half his face was cut off, just so her entire face would be visible.

A single teardrop fell from her eye and rolled down his phone's screen, as it slowly rolled down his widened cheeks in the wallpaper.

She was hit with the realisation that she would never be able to see his real smile ever again; his wide, toothy grin that had lightened up her entire world, was gone. Forever.

Before she could do anything else, the phone in her hand chimed with the following message:

'Been busy? Your draft message of 1,000+ words to "My Love❤️" is just waiting to be sent! Get back to it?'

Her eyes widened as she realised that the message was supposed to be for her. He had typed out such a long message for her? Why hadn't he sent it to her?

With shaking hands, she typed in his password, which was a date very special to them, and watched as his phone opened to reveal yet another picture of her as his wallpaper.

She tried to ignore the way her heart twisted at that, and focused on trying to click on the right icon of the text messages app. Her hands were a shivering mess. She was scared of what she would find in that long message.

Taking a shuddering breath, she finally opened their chat, and indeed found a long, unsent message.

My love. . .
Do I even have a right to call you that anymore? I suppose not, but it just feels so right to call you that, because that's what you are. My love, my love, my love. It sounds so good, so perfect.

Her eyes teared up at the very beginning of the message, blurring her sight. She skimmed through the message, not fully registering its words and the message behind them until she reached the end of the message.

You always put others, put me, over yourself. I am blessed to have met someone like you, blessed to have been able to call you mine. Thank you for making an important part of my life such an amazing one. I loved every second I was with you.

I wish I could go back to the start and relive all those moments once again, for the last time. I wish I could hug you right now. . . I wish I could give you a kiss and tell you how much I love you. I wish for things that are impossible.

Your life will get better, I just know it. I'm sad that I wasn't the right one for you, but there's someone much better out there for you. Embrace your life. No one knows when it can end.

Hoping you never get to read this,
With all my love,
I'm sorry.
S

The phone slipped through her fingers, accidentally clicking on the send button. The phone fell to the ground with a crash, which drowned the pleasant ding, indicating that the message was delivered.

The screen-guard of the phone cracked into tiny little, irreparable pieces, just like her heart.