present day

"The lifts usually go down to the basement floor every time there are power fluctuations. It usually takes some time for them to come back up," Soonyoung said conversationally, breaking the awkward silence of them waiting for the lift.

"How long does that take?" Seokmin asked, staring at the blinking red light on the elevator's switch.

"A while. Although, the service lifts are back in order much faster than resident lifts." Seokmin didn't question Soonyoung's excessive knowledge about this residence. He knew that Soonyoung would visit Hyeri habitually, every month.

"You wanna use the service lifts, then?"

Soonyoung grimaced. "I'd rather not. Those lifts are in terrible condition; they creak a lot and move dangerously."

". . .staircase?"

"Staircase."

Soonyoung led Seokmin towards the staircase door, holding it open for him. "Why, thank you very much, kind sir," Seokmin said, with an air of grace, as he bowed slightly towards a smiling Soonyoung.

Before Soonyoung could keep the impromptu skit going, a scream of pain, sounding very close to where they were, and sounding very familiar, tore through the air.

All playfulness left their demeanour, as they ran outside, searching for the owner of that cry of pain. To Soonyoung's horror, he was met with the sight of his best friend lying on the floor, blood flowing from her head.

"Hyeri!" He screamed, running towards her, dropping to his knees, and cradling her head. He stared at Seokmin in panic, not knowing what to do.

"Hospital," Seokmin said, shakily, running towards the service lift, which opened a few seconds later. Soonyoung carried her in his hands, making sure her injured head was resting safely against his chest.

No one noticed the letter, that was tightly clutched in her hand, fall down in the small pool of her blood, like a leaf in autumn.

It lay there, soaking up the blood, forgotten.

Its contents' would now forever be a mystery to everyone except Seungcheol, who was under the impression that Soonyoung would've received the letter and gotten the important message from him.

"C-check her pulse," Soonyoung stuttered, as the service lift took them down to the basement, where they had parked their car. Seokmin obliged, placing two fingers on the side of Hyeri's neck.

"It's weak, but it's there."

Seokmin looked pale, staring at Hyeri's body hanging lifelessly from Soonyoung's arms. He wasn't as close to her as Soonyoung was, no one from their friend group ever was, until Seungcheol. Once upon a time, they were all friends. Best friends, even.

Until they weren't.

They rushed to the car, Seokmin instinctively going towards the driver's seat, while Soonyoung carefully sat in the backseat, with Hyeri laying on his lap.

Seokmin began driving towards the hospital at speeds which would've definitely given them a ticket. Soonyoung stared at his best friend's bleeding head, anger bubbling in his chest. He could never forgive Seungcheol, or himself, if something happened to her because of them.

He could feel her slightly tensed body loosening, but he didn't know if that was a good thing or a bad thing.

"Seokmin, please, go faster," Soonyoung said, sounding close to tears.

Seokmin bit back a snarky remark about how if he went any faster, he might as well be flying an aeroplane, because he knew how Hyeri meant the world to Soonyoung. He glanced at the rear view mirror and saw Soonyoung sobbing softly as he caressed Hyeri's shoulder.

He pressed down on the accelerator.

"There's an emergency! Someone, please, help!" Soonyoung began shouting as soon as he got out of the car with Hyeri in his hands. Two nurses brought out a stretcher, and took Hyeri inside a room they weren't allowed to enter. Soonyoung shakily filled in the hospital admit form, before slumping down on a nearby chair.

"Dude, were your pants always that colour?" Seokmin asked, staring at the large dark shade contrasting the rest of Soonyoung's navy joggers.

Soonyoung wiped his hand over his thighs and felt that it was wet and sticky. His fingers were coated with a red substance.

"More blood?" Seokmin asked incredulously.

"H-her period must've finally started," Soonyoung muttered, trying to get the image of his best friend's body lying lifeless on the ground out of his mind.

"Are you sure it's her period, and not. . . something else?" Seokmin asked cautiously, knowing that the start of a period wouldn't bleed as much as was stained on Soonyoung's pants.

"Yeah, it must be her period, it's long overdue, anyways," Soonyoung said, trying to convince himself more.

Seokmin didn't question further. He was aware that, for reasons he can't fathom, Hyeri would call Soonyoung over to hang out every time she was on her period.

He also knew that Soonyoung hadn't gone for this monthly sleepover with Hyeri in almost two months, which was why he had insisted on going over to their house to check up on his best friend.

He had simply dragged Seokmin along as an excuse to meet their, former, best friend, Choi Seungcheol. However, Seokmin had a nagging suspicion that Soonyoung simply didn't want to create any misunderstandings by going to meet Hyeri alone.

"She'll be fine." Seokmin squeezed his friend's shaking hand, trying to reassure him.

Soonyoung didn't respond, and just stared at the red light on top of the door that indicated an ongoing surgery with bleary eyes.

The feeling of dread settled over him uncomfortably like a heavy cloud. He had trouble believing Seokmin this time.

'Will she really be fine?'

xx

some more insight into Soonyoung and Hyeri's relationship and dynamics, they're honestly goals
what will happen to Hyeri? What could've possibly been in the letter for it to be so important?
lots of important information in this chapter! Keep your eyes peeled ;)

[ May, 2023 ]