Prologue: The life of Dunwalls heir

There he was, (Y/N) Kaldwin, Dunwall's heir, sitting in court, just pretending to listen to what the other nobles were saying. He never liked this life; sure, he could have anything he wanted, but it was too easy for him, he didn't like cheating his way to the top, but his mother told him it was for the best, though he never understood why, other civilians lived well, they didn't need to live Royally or have a lot of money, they just lived. (Y/N) would always sneak out at night and go to the rooftops for comfort and peace, he never knew that his mother, Empress Emily Kaldwin, would sometimes watch him to make sure he didn't do something stupid, fall to his death, or possibly run away to try a new life, but he always came back to the tower, even if he wasn't always sure that he wanted to.

Sometimes when Emily told him stories about his grandfather, Corvo Attano, he wondered what it would be like to see the world through his eyes, running across rooftops, taking out tyrants, saving the kingdom. Still, he knew he wouldn't ever be able to do any of that, he knew he was destined to take his mother's place as emperor of Dunwall eventually. (Y/N) never met his grandfather; Emily told him that Corvo died saving the kingdom from a witch named Delilah. Corvo died a few hours after saving Emily from the stone Delilah trapped her in. (Y/N) still paid his respects to his grandfather and only stayed at the parties meant for Corvo's and Jessamine's anniversary.

Sometimes (Y/N) would set up shrines to the Outsider and pray to him secretly. He knew that if his mother or any overseer found out, he would get in a lot of trouble. The Outsider felt something strange toward (Y/N), so he decided to listen, and sometimes, the Outsider would even talk to him in his sleep. The Outsider never knew why he had this strange feeling toward the boy, but he knew that if this feeling popped up out of nowhere, he should pay attention to it. Sometimes, while it was dark and the night was deep, the Outsider and (Y/N) would talk about random things; they were almost like friends, maybe even brothers.

When the Outsider found new things about their world, he would always tell (Y/N) about it and sit there and listen when (Y/N) talked about his problems. As time passed, the Outsider felt even more attached to (Y/N) and felt a very high urge to pull anyone who harmed him into the void and put them through eternal suffering. As time passed, they talked more, and (Y/N) kept dealing with the problems of being born into royalty. Eventually (Y/N)'s mother, Emily Kaldwin, found something of his that made her furious, and she called the overseers to the tower.