Chapter 4

Sea

(A painted dragon, with a sword run through it is the billowing sail of Stoick's ship. Stoick hovers over the familiar nautical map, his eyes on the uncharted corner, swirling in mist and illustrations of dragons)

Stoick: I can almost smell them. They're close. Steady.

(Stoick raises his gaze to a huge fog bank, towering from sky to sea like abruised, daunting curtain, beyond which nothing is visible. The three ships drift alongside it, skirtingits solid edge, looking for an opening. On deck the crewmen mill nervously, all too aware of what Stoick is considering)

Stoick: Take us in.

(The helmsman steers Stoick's ship into the fog. The men draw their weapons, prepping for the worst. The first ship disappears into the whiteout, followed by the other two. Suddenly a flash of light appears followed by the silhouette of a dragon. Then screams are heard followed by more flashes)

Berk - Training Grounds

(Hiccup is looking up at Gobber, Y/n and Astrid while inside the arena)

Hiccup: You know, I just happened to notice the book had nothing on Night Furies. Is there another book? Or a sequel? Maybe a little Night Fury pamphlet?

(Bam! A blast takes the axe head off of Hiccup's hilt, leaving a smoking hole behind him. Hiccup yelps and runs away)

Gobber: Focus Hiccup! You're not even trying.

(In the arena a purple Deadly Nadder is loose in a maze-like arrangement of moveable walls. Gobber, Y/n and Atrid call out orders from above)

Gobber: Today... is all about attack.

(The Nadder hops from wall to wall, sending the recruits scurrying)

Astrid: Nadders are quick and light on their feet.

Gobber: Your job is to be quicker and lighter.

(The teens movein, stumbling over Hiccup and his unwieldy shield. The Nadder spots Fishlegs' ample rear hiding behinda wall. It whips its tail of spikes. Fishlegs screams and lifts an entire wall to shield himself from the spray)

Fishlegs: I'm really beginning to question your teaching methods.

Y/n: You need to look for its blind spot.

Gobber: Every dragon has one. Find it, hide in it, and strike.

(Ruff and Tuff rush in, diving and rolling up to the Nadder's nose. The Nadder sniffs the air, it apparently can't see them. Tuffand Ruff are smashed together too close for comfort)

Ruffnut: Do you ever bathe?

Tuffnut: If you don't like it, then just get your own blind spot.

Ruffnut: How about I give you one!

(Ruff and Tuff shove each other, till their movement and noise gives them away. The Nadder attacks, snapping at both of them)

Y/n: It has a blind spot, not a deaf spot.

(Hiccup wanders up to Gobber, while the others dart past)

Hiccup: Hey, so how would one sneak up on a Night Fury?

Gobber: None one's ever met one and lived to tell the tale. Now get in there.

Hiccup: I know, I know, but hypothetically...

Hilda: Hiccup!

(She puts her finger to her lips and gestures for him to hide. A moment later, the Nadder leaps over the walls, surprising them by landing in front of her. Hilda somersaults into its blind spot, confusing it. She rears back tostrike, just as Snotlout leaps in, protectively sweeping Hilda behind him)