Chapter 10

Sea

(Tanis and Stormfly fly over the open water, following their noses and shifting course every few seconds as they carry Y/n, Astrid, Hilda and Hiccup. There's nothing but open sky and ocean as far as the eye can see)

Hiccup: Where are they heading?

Hilda: They are tracking something, aren't you?

(She pats Tanis, who sqwaks back, focused, sniffing the air. Y/n sighs)

Y/n: There's nothing but miles and miles of...

(Y/n looks into the distance, suddenly silent. Astrid turns to see what he's looking at. They hurtle over crashing whitecaps toward what seems like nothing but a column of mist. A roar builds. Y/n peers over Astrid's shoulder, baffled. They exchange looks.

Stormfly and Tanis suddenly pull up, revealing a vast hole in the sea with thunderous waterfalls cascading inward. Hiccup, Hilda, Y/n and Astrid gawk, astounded, as Stormfly and Tanis circle the epic, otherworldly sight, a great volcanic caldera meeting the surface of the sea. The remains of shipwrecks litter the lower tier, wedged in the fang-like rocks of the chasm)

Y/n: A great waterfall...

Astrid: At the end of the world.

(Astrid meets his eyes. Suddenly, without warning, Tanis and Stormfly dive into the caldera)

Hiccup: AGGHH!

Y/n: Whoa!

Hilda: Tanis!

Astrid: Stormfly!

(Y/n wraps his arms around Astrid as they plummet, uncontrolled)

Hidden World

(They emerge through a curtain of falling water... and into avast, steamy chamber beneath the ocean floor. Terraced basins of collected seawater spill into a seemingly bottomless chasm, aglow with magma veins.

Y/n, Hiccup, Hilda and Astrid gawk, bewildered, as Tanis and Stormfly sniff theair and switches direction. They fly them beneath a low overhang and into a tunnel. The darkness gives way to an otherworldly glow as the phosphorescent river beneath throws patterns up the tunnel walls)

Hiccup: Look!

(Hiccup points out the shape of a bioluminescent sea shocker dragon, swimming in the currents below them. Stormfly and Tanis follow the river to its end, dropping off of a cliff and into a massive gallery of columns, covered in bioluminescent fungi. Clusters of dragon eggs glow as Tanis and Stormfly soar past. They too display bioluminescent patterns, as though flying under black lights.

Y/n, Astrid, Hilda and Hiccup are astounded. The starry ceiling above suddenly shifts and undulates, as thousands of tiny fireworm dragons descend from the cavernceiling and playfully chase Stormfly and Tanis. Finally, the "Mushroom Forest" gives way to a third chamber, vast and glowing with warm light carried from deep magmaveins via great pillars of crystal. Gargantuan coral structures fan out in dramatic displays, growing mid-air in the damp, salty atmosphere. Here, thousands of dragons have gathered in an excitable hive of activity.

Y/n, Astrid, Hilda and Hiccup tuck low in the saddle as Stormfly flies them closer to the epicenter of activity. "King Island." To avoid detection, Astrid and Hilda steer Tanis and Stormfly toward a smaller formation at the shore of Kind Island, landing in the cover of a canopy of goliath mushrooms. Y/n, Astrid, Hilda and Hiccup hop off and follow Tanis and Stormfly as they sniff the air and scampers up the steep, moist terrain)