𝐂𝐇𝐀𝐏𝐓𝐄𝐑 𝟑: 𝐅𝐑𝐈𝐄𝐍𝐃𝐒.

"Yo, Jah!"

"Yo, Jah!"

Khadijah kissed her teeth, hearing Arion's voice, hesitantly looking over her shoulder to see a group of guys chilling on the block. They were smoking, drinking, laughing, and talking ridiculously loud, but as soon as Arion called out to her—all the noise died down and the group's attention was entirely focused on her.

"C'mere for a minute," Arion beckoned her over, and she reluctantly found herself walking towards him. She spotted Kevin, who sat on the steps of the building they were hanging around at, nodding at her before taking a hit of the blunt that was being passed around. Khadijah liked that about him—he was quiet and calm compared to Arion. "What's good with you? Why you walking around like you'n know niggas?" Arion asked her, looking her up and down.

"Careful, you sounding like James now," she scoffed.

"Bro, what? Fuck that nigga man," Arion scowled instantly.

"Not gonna lie, using the gov is crazy," one of the other guys drawled, "like, shorty a fed or something?"

"Nah, never that," Kevin shook his head, "we been knew her from time—she cool peoples."

"Oh word, my bad, I'm Setty though, these my mans, Cblu, and Nas." Setty said, introducing himself.

"Hi." Khadijah said blandly.

"So, what, Dougz? This you?" The one named Cblu piped up.

"Nah, nah, this Timera's daughter, bro," Arion shook his head, denying it, "she's the homie."

"Shit, say no more," Cblu said, rubbing his hands together, standing up, "what's good with you, ma? Tryna let a nigga take you out?"

Khadijah rose an eyebrow.

"Didn't you hear what I just said? This Timera's daughter, Zahid's daughter, bro." Arion stressed to his friend.

"Yeah, nigga, you wildin' respectfully—you ain't gotta chance," Kevin chuckled quietly.

"Nah, mama, you see how they doing us? Praying on our downfall like that," Cblu whined loudly, reaching for Khadijah's hand—she pulled away her hand out of his reach just as Arion slapped his hand away from her.

"Sorry... Cblu, but I ain't on that right now," Khadijah said hesitantly as Arion mugged Cblu.

"I'ma change ya mind, bae, just you wait," Cblu promised her, making Khadijah giggle.

Maybe these niggas weren't so bad.

Khadijah's jaw dropped seeing the four of them waiting for her by the subway the next morning—Kevin, Arion, Cblu, and Setty.