𝐂𝐇𝐀𝐏𝐓𝐄𝐑 𝟓: 𝐍𝐎𝐓𝐇𝐈𝐍𝐆 𝐄𝐋𝐒𝐄 𝐌𝐀𝐓𝐓𝐄𝐑𝐒.

On the morning of volleyball tryouts, Khadijah is buzzing with energy and excitement

On the morning of volleyball tryouts, Khadijah is buzzing with energy and excitement. Khadijah almost zipped past Arion and Kevin in her haste to get to school.

"Jah, you extra happy this morning," Setty commented as they stood, squeezed together on the train.

"It's volleyball tryouts today," she stressed, clutching her gym bag close to her body, "I'm tryna get on the team."

"Shit, you play sports?" Setty rose an eyebrow.

"I've been playing since fourth grade," she informed him, checking the time on her phone as the train jolted, pushing her back against Arion—it was a common occurence now, she didn't flinch as she used too, just put her bodyweight against him as she eagerly awaited their arrival to school.

"When's the tryouts? Maybe, we can watch." Blu asked curiously. "The gym got those big ass windows."

"Its during our lunch," Khadijah sighed, locking her phone, "I'm excited but nervous. I haven't played in a while—I've been so busy studying."

"Nah, you got it, don't trip," Kevin shook his head, reassuring her casually, one earbud hanging around his neck as he blasted music in his ear with the other, "we can watch. I'on got shit to do anyways." He shrugged.

"Shit, now I'm extra nervous," Khadijah laughed, feeling a bit lighter—it would be her first time having people come to see her play. Her parents never really made time back when she was in elementary school to watch her games. They encouraged her to play for college applications, but they couldn't care less when it came to actually motivating and supporting her.

At least she had them now.

Even if they held... questionable careers.

Honestly, Khadijah didn't even know what to call it at this point.

She counted each stop meticulously, counting them down one-by-one until they finally reached the stop just two minutes from their school. Khadijah wanted to rush out of the car, but Arion grabbed her backpack, holding onto her despite the sea of people around them.

"Aight, chill out before you get lost." He told her.

She pouted as she walked alongside Arion, still tightly holding onto her gym bag that had her gym clothes, shoes, and knee pads. Volleyball was therapeutic for her—every time the season rolled around, it was all Khadijah looked forward too. It was her escape from everything hectic going on in her life.

To be able to play on a court again gave her so much comfort she didn't even know she was seeking.

She'd been cut short on tryouts last year, making every single round except the last, but she prayed this time she'd make it.