𝐂𝐇𝐀𝐏𝐓𝐄𝐑 𝟏𝟐: 𝐆𝐄𝐓 𝐔𝐆𝐋𝐘.

"Bro, I did not need to know this," Kevin said, scrunching up his nose and shaking his head

"Bro, I did not need to know this," Kevin said, scrunching up his nose and shaking his head. A Perez family function was in full swing, and Lauren had practically begged Khadijah and her mother to come along. That's how Khadijah ended up sitting on the steps on the porch of Jackie's townhouse, watching Kevin roll. The backyard was packed full of people—Kevin's family members, who extended their condolences to her and mother. Her mother handled the attention with grace—a smile stretched just a tad bit too thin, but she was polite and respectful. Khadijah found the attention overwhelming and Kevin picked up on it—perceptive as always, leading her out front to the porch.

And, of course, because Khadijah was Khadijah and she felt a way—she told Kevin about the shit that went down with her and Arion because she hadn't seen him in over a week.

He hadn't come back to the apartment that night. Or the day after. Or the day after that.

"I don't have anyone else to talk too," Khadijah rolled her eyes, she eyed the blunt Kevin was rolling with deep interest, "have you seen Arion?"

"Bro, Dougie, man," Kevin stressed to her, a smile on his lips, "he busy though. He told you that, right?"

"Busy doing what?" Khadijah whined. "Like bro, I haven't seen him in over a week."

"I woulda think y'all fucked with the way you actin' right now," Kevin mumbled, finishing the blunt and tucking it behind his ear, "whatchu trippin' so much for? He ain't 'ya nigga."

"Damn, Kevin," Khadijah said pointedly with an eyeroll, "I can't ask you where he is? He literally lives with you, bro."

"Not gon' lie, I'on think you should see him right now, Jah," Kevin shook his head again, looking like he was deep in his thoughts, "I can't say too much about it to be honest." He clarified. He leaned back against her legs, and Khadijah resisted the strong urge to kick him off her.

"Is it that serious?" Khadijah asked, furrowing her eyebrows, "is he okay?"

Kevin hesitated to answer, staying silent.

"At least tell me if he's okay, Kevin," Khadijah urged, lightly pushing Kevin's shoulder.

"He's caught up in something, I'm not gon' say anything else but," Kevin spoke again, hesitating, "if shit goes south, I'll let you know."

She blinked in confusion. What the fuck did that even mean?

"Don't ask me nothing else," Kevin commanded, taking the blunt from behind his ear, fishing around in his short's pocket for a lighter, "and before you even attempt to say shit, you can have one hit. Don't tell anyone I let you, though." He told her sternly, sparking up in front of her. He took two hits before he reluctantly passed it back to Khadijah, and she accepted it graciously—finally being able to scratch the itch, taking a large hit before she gave it back with a slight pout on her face. She hadn't smoked in a while—she missed it. Her mother had removed all the liquor from the apartment—they really only had her father's stash of beers and even Arion had stopped smoking around her; opting to just come over to her apartment faded out of his mind rather than doing it in front of her.