𝐂𝐇𝐀𝐏𝐓𝐄𝐑 𝟒: 𝐋𝐀𝐓𝐄 𝐍𝐈𝐆𝐇𝐓.

Khadijah had fallen into a routine of some sorts—she was no longer anxious when she found Kevin and Arion waiting for her at the subway in the mornings, nor was she surprised when she found Arion sitting behind her in Mrs

Khadijah had fallen into a routine of some sorts—she was no longer anxious when she found Kevin and Arion waiting for her at the subway in the mornings, nor was she surprised when she found Arion sitting behind her in Mrs. Hu's second period math class. She wasn't surprised to go out with them—with Setty and Blu—to lunch, especially when Kevin often indulged her, buying her whatever food she wanted.

It was actually quite nice.

She was surprised that she'd—somehow—became friends with them. That was the most shocking discovery.

A discovery that had to be hidden at all costs.

Khadijah ducked her head into her hoodie as they walked home. The others were chatting around her, joking and laughing. She didn't feel the need to interject, just smiled when Blu or Arion said something particularly funny or Setty teased Blu for his height. Kevin kept silent usually, letting his lips quirk up a little to show them he was listening.

"Aye, aye! Let's play ball for a bit, one-on-ones," Blu suggested, pointing at the ballpark across the street. Khadijah observed it for a second—her house was still a few blocks down, she could stay and watch for a bit. Arion turned to her, eyes speaking for him, and she nodded wordlessly.

"Aight, you and Setty, I put twenty on Setty," Arion smirked.

"Nah, nah, nah," Blu quickly shook his head making Arion burst out laughing, "lemme play Khadijah, my wife." He dragged the word out.

"I don't play basketball," Khadijah shrugged, "but I put five on Blu, just to make him feel better."

Blu's face lit up, cheesing as he punched Setty repeatedly in the arm.

"See, bro? See? She's warming up to me!"

"Nah, nigga, she's making you feel better about 'yaself, you deaf or something?" Kay chuckled as they proceeded to cross the street. A car next to them skirted quickly to a stop, making Khadijah squeak in surprise. Kay didn't care, though, mugging the driver as he flipped them off. Arion's hand hovered over her back—not quite touching, as he too quirked an eyebrow at the driver, muttering something under his breath as they past.

"Yo, it don't matter, she basically gave me an inch," Blu said, dramatizing as he gazed at Khadijah adoringly.

"And you gon' always take a mile, my nigga," Setty smiled, clapping Blu's back hard, causing him to yelp in pain.

"Alright, bitch, just watch," Blu vowed, pulling off his bag as they paused by a ledge of a planter. Khadijah hopped up onto the ledge, pulling her own backpack off and holding it in her lap securely. They watched as Blu retrieved a basketball from his backpack, and Khadijah rose an eyebrow before deciding it would be better not to ask.