Chapter 3: So, I kinda got hurt,

Hayami climbed up a tree, sitting at the topmost branch and trying to catch her breath.

'I'm out of breath... Man I really need to learn to pace myself...' she thought, coughing.

Yushiro followed behind her, sitting next to her calmly.

'is she already out of breath...? I guess it makes sense since she is human, but still...' he looked at her, raising an eyebrow slightly.

"I love this weather." Hayami sighed, turning upside down and hanging by her knees. "This is beautiful. Cool breeze, warm night, only a few clouds..." SHe did a chefs kiss, then laughed, still hanging.

He slides off the branch, hanging on by his legs as well.

"It feels nice to be somewhere warm outside without the sun..." He mumbled.

"Yeah. Most nights are very cold... It sucks. Speaking of sun, can you be in other light? Like fire???"

"It's just sunlight....I can be by fire..."

"Interesting. How strange,you can be out in moonlight and firelight, but sunlight k1lls you." Hayami said thoughtfully.

"...I wish it didn't....I miss....the sun..." Yushiro said sadly.

'Eugh, why am I telling her this...?'

Hayami smiled sadly, grabbing his hand and squeezing it softly.

"Maybe one day, you can see it again." She said softly.

"I hope...." he sighed. "It'll probably never happen though."

"I'll make sure that it happens one day. I promise." Hayami smiled brightly. "and I won't let anyone stop me!"

Yushiro looked at her, then smiled a little bit, unbeknownst to him.

"Your smile is pretty cute. You should do it more often." Hayami grinned, letting go of his hand and flipping up to sit on the branch again. At that moment, a knife flew out of the forest below them, stabbing her in the arm as she cried out in pain. She looked at the dagger, eyes wide. "I... I think we might need to go..." She laughed nervously.

He nodded, letting himself fall from the branch. He flipped over as he fell, landing perfectly on his feet like it was nothing.

'Dammit.' A slayer hidden in the trees thought, 'wait, is that another slayer? Or could it be a mimic?' She thought, readying another kn1fe.

"Yushi? I don't know if I can get down..." Hayami bit her lip, then shrugged. "Never mind." She called, letting go of the branch and falling downwards.

Yushiro reached out and caught her before she hit the ground, much to both of their surprise.

"Oh- well thank you." Hayami said, blinking and then grinning at him. He shrugged and put her down, and Hayami stood up, looking into the forest. "Hello? Who is there? Why are you attacking us?" She asked, frowning.

Yushiro stood beside her, eyes narrowed at he stares into the forest.

"I'm here! I'm gonna kill him! That thing killed my brother!" A slayer stepped out from the trees, a look of fury on her face. "Why are you with him, aren't you a slayer? Why on earth haven't you k1lled the guy already?!"