Red Light Spells Danger

A/N: nothing to say except this was a bitch to end. I hope you like it. See end for a note! But don't go there until you've finished. No summary as it'll spoil it all. 

"Red light spells dangerCan't hold out much longer'Cause red light means warningCan't hold outI'm burning

Can't hold out much longer
'Cause red light means warning
Can't hold out
I'm burning

You took my heart and turned me on
And now the danger sign is on
Never thought the day would come
When I would feel alone without you
And now I'm like a child again
Calling out his mamas name
You got me on a ball and chain
Doing things that I don't wanna

I can't stop running to you
I feel love coming through you
And, girl, with you beside me
Hold on, heaven guide me

Oh, it's a red light, baby
Oh, it's a danger warning
Can't hold out, and I can't hold out
I'm burning
No, no, no!"

Red Light Spells Danger - Billy Ocean
**********

Jake

Two hours. That was all the sleep they'd managed to snatch after returning from the forest. Jake's body ached, bones creaking as he showered off the dirt, sweat, and sex. He still couldn't find it within him to regret sabotaging her plan. Wished he'd known the whole story before going all in, but he didn't regret it. It led her to allow him inside her world, that was all he'd wanted, and he knew she didn't want his remorse, only his trust. He never wanted her to think she had to ask for his permission, but to make their relationship work, they had to give and take. They had to consult each other before making any life-altering decisions. She had seemed lighter, freer as he'd kissed her before jumping in the shower. He had encouraged her to go back to sleep but doubted she'd listen.

Watching as leaves and shards of forest debris circled the drain, he smiled softly. An odd sensation unfurled in his chest, and it took a moment for him to recognize what it was. Contentment. He was entirely at ease with who he was and who he was in love with. He'd often thought he had lost touch with reality, become one with his computers, and lost all sense of human connection or emotion. But there, with her in the next room, he knew he'd never truly lost it. It had just been languishing in the back of his black and grey-coded mind until he was brave enough to open it. He was utterly lost in thought as water sluiced down his sore muscles and almost rattled his skull off the shower head as Manon burst into the room.

"Jake, hurry. They've given us clearance to visit Hannah." She said in an urgent tone, and his heart reacted as if she'd shocked him.

Racing ahead of his thoughts at a gallop, his pulse jumped in his throat and he blinked stupidly as Manon joined him in the shower and hurriedly scrubbed herself down. His silence must have spoken volumes, for she didn't try to force him to voice any of the thoughts he knew were running across his face. Usually, when she joined him in there, they spent more time seeing how loud they could make the other moan, but this time he felt cold all the way through, even as steam clogged his nose. She put her back to him to rinse out the conditioner she'd carelessly rubbed through her mass of hair, and the state of her back brought him out of his reverie.