Chapter 2: Proposal

When I come to, I'm in a dimly lit room, sprawled across a giant bed covered in blood-red sheets. Zacan's room. Above the bed is a giant canopy made of dark silk, with ornately carved furniture throughout the room. Even a chandelier lit with several candles hangs from the ceiling. So this is how the Alpha gets to live, while us omegas are restricted to the basement of the packhouse, crammed into small rooms where several of us have to sleep on the floor together. We don't even get beds. I've had to stuff an old sheet with straw for Oliver and me.

Maybe I'd take advantage of the luxury if it weren't for the fact that I'm in the bed of a man I hate who also took my son away from me. I look down at myself, realizing in horror that I've been stripped of my old clothes and put in a practically translucent red button-up top and shorts to match. All I really have covered are my nether regions, which have been left undisturbed in my undergarments.

Whoever chose the clothes obviously didn't know my measurements, in addition to having horrible taste. The shirt and top are way too short for my tall figure. I guess alphas are used to omegas being tiny height-wise, but I'm 5'10". I could probably pass for a short beta if it weren't for my small, slim frame, delicate features, and curves. Curse my omega genes.

Disregarding this, I get off the bed and immediately try the door. Unsurprisingly, it doesn't budge. There are no windows, either. So I move on to searching around for a possible weapon I can use, but there's nothing. I put a hand to my chest, praying to the Moon Goddess that Oliver is safe. If Zacan believes that he is his son, he won't harm him. At least I hope.

With anxious sigh, I go over to look at myself in the floor-length mirror in the corner. I don't like what I see. I'm draped in Zacan's color. The color of all the blood he's spilled. I feel like it's a statement that he thinks he can control me. But I'll have to keep them on unless I want to wait here naked. Not that they're much better than that.

When the door opens, I jump, startled. Zacan comes in, filling the room with his awful aura.

"Where's Oliver?!" I ask, cutting to the chase.

"He's fine,"

"That's not an answer!"

"Didn't anyone ever tell you it's rude to talk back to an alpha?" he glares, walking towards me.

I back up, not wanting him anywhere close to me. "They did. But I don't like to listen," I bite back.

"Evidently. But if you did you'd be so much more pleasant, wouldn't you?"

"My job isn't to be pleasant for you. Give me my son!" I'm getting angry now, if I wasn't already before. I've had enough of his bullshit.

No sooner have the words left my mouth is he slamming me against the wall, a large clawed hand wrapping around my neck. The back of my head throbs from the impact and I wince, blinking a few times to try and regain my senses. His bright green eyes are boring into mine, glowing as his wolf simmers below the surface. "If you want to see him again, then you'll drop the attitude and very carefully consider what I'm about to say," he growls.

I swallow nervously, keeping my mouth shut as I nod to avoid causing any more problems. I've always had a bad temper, but now's not the time to let it show. He takes his hand off my neck once it's clear I've calmed.

"As you're already aware, I know that Oliver is my son. My advisors have all agreed on the matter and I won't hear any more of your stories. Which is why I have a proposal for you," his eyes are alight with strange fervor, which tells me that I won't like this one bit.

"I don't want Oliver to live without his mother, either. So become my mate. My Luna. You, Oliver, and I can be a family. You will be treated far better than the other omegas, and Oliver will be provided with the proper resources to become the Alpha he is destined to be as my heir,"

Oh, he's got to be joking. Become his what?! He's insane if he thinks I'll agree to this--to letting him basically take me prisoner and brainwash my son. "What if I refuse?" I test the waters.

Distaste becomes evident on the alpha's face. "The way I see it, he's a child and you're an omega. Neither of your opinions matter,"

"Then why did you call it a proposal?" I glower back at him.

"You ungrateful bitch," he snaps, "Proposals from your Alpha aren't to be rejected. Any omega would be thanking their lucky stars to be in your position!"

I look at him in disbelief. "I'm supposed to feel lucky? Being forced to be your mate after what you did to me?!"

He scoffs in annoyance like what I'm referring to is completely insignificant. "The bottom line is, omega, if you want to see your son again, you'll accept my offer. Think of your position. I have all the power here. I can make it so you never see him again if that's what you want."

My insides spark with panic at his words. "No!" I shake my head, my voice pleading. "N-No! Please no,"

"Then say yes," he demands cruelly.

"Yes. Fine! Just let me have him," I nearly start to cry, but I hold back the tears with all my might. I'm acting weak enough as it is.

He smiles, pleased as if he's accomplished something of merit rather than threatening someone into doing what he wants. "Then it is done,"

I look down, a horrible feeling spreading in my chest. Everything--all the effort I put into hiding who Oliver's true father is, was all for naught. It's over now. We'll live our lives more controlled and trapped than we already were. 

He tells me to rest while I can, promising that I'll get to see Oliver tomorrow when we do the mating ceremony. Zacan has pack matters to deal with right now, so he cannot stay the night with me, which I am oh so thankful for. I'm sure I won't be able to sleep, but I really couldn't if I had to lie next to him.

As he opens the door and before he can leave, I call out a question. "Why me?" I ask. "Why me, all those years ago, and why now?"

He's silent for a moment, thinking over his answer before he says, "Because you are exquisite. And you are mine,"

*

I watch as a golden band is fastened around my wrist, designed to complement the one Zacan wears. The whole pack has gathered to watch our mating ceremony and I want to hide in a hole. I spot Oliver in the crowd, watching with wide, bewildered eyes. This must be a lot for him.

The priest recites the laws of our union, but I don't bother to listen. All I can think about is the fact that I'm being forced to be the Luna of the man I hate most in the world. The man that I'd like to see six feet under, if that was possible. A dark, evil part of me whispers to kill him. But I know I would never have to courage to. I guess I'm all bark and no bite. How pathetic.

Once our vows are done, Zacan leads me down the aisle and everyone stares at us in uncertainty. It's not like I know what's going on any more than they do. Some give me judging looks. I try to ignore them. They don't realize I'd trade places with them in an instant if I could.

At the banquet, I'm finally able to talk to Oliver. I take my boy into my arms and he buries his face in my stomach.

"Mama.!" He cries, hugging me so tight it hurts. He's already getting so strong.

"I'm here, baby. Are you okay? Did they hurt you?"

He shakes his head, sniffling, and relief floods through me.

"I was just scared. I never had to sleep without you before," he whimpers.

"I'm sorry, Oli. I'm so sorry," I stroke his hair, rocking him gently in my hold.

"Will you sleep with me tonight?" He asks hopefully, looking up at me with swollen eyes, presumably from crying all night.

I wish I could say yes. But it's the night of the mating ceremony. I'll have to spend it with Zacan, which I am dreading more than anything.

"Soon, okay? I'll talk to Alpha Zacan," I try to reassure him, but he looks anything but.