Chapter 10: School

I will admit, I may have been a tad too extreme with Cyrus. I shouldn't have lashed out like that when he's the only reason Oliver and I are being provided with shelter and food. The days following that particular... incident, I've been on edge, waiting for the call for us to be kicked out. Without a doubt, there are always severe consequences for disrespecting alphas. I don't know how a week of that not occurring made me forget.

They have power, something I can't afford to disregard. Even if omegas seem to have better standing and more freedom here, the stronger gender is always in charge at the end of the day.

But surprisingly, there's no word from Cyrus. It's like he's disappeared off the face of the earth. I feel something nagging me in the back of my mind, almost like a feeling of... guilt.

"Koa? Earth to Koa?" a dainty hand waves in my face and I'm jerked out of my thoughts. I turn to Morgan, who I'm sitting with in the Pack House dining area. There are only a few other people here, so I'm pretty at ease. Oliver's across the room conversing with a cute little omega girl.

"Sorry," I shake my head, grateful for the distraction to take my mind off Cyrus.

"It's alright! I was just asking if there was anything you wanted to talk about. You look troubled," Morgan frowns at me through his silver-rimmed glasses that perfectly complement his gray coat.

"What--" I start, wondering if the question sounds weird, "What do you know about Cyrus?"

Why the hell did I just ask that? Wasn't I trying to not think about him?

Morgan's eyebrows shoot up, a grin erupting on his face and I know I've definitely made a mistake. "You're curious about him, aren't you?" he asks, a teasing lilt in his tone.

"Of course I'm not," I deny, hoping the flush of my cheeks doesn't give me away.

"Well, if you really want to know, why don't you talk to him yourself?"

"We're not exactly on talking terms. I... don't think we ever have been. I barely know the guy,"

"But he's your mate! You'll have to know him sooner or later," Morgan remarks cheerfully as I gape at him.

"How do you know that?!"

"When our Pack Alpha comes back from a mission looking completely starstruck with a gorgeous omega at his side, I'm going to assume things. I'm sure others are too, even if there's been no public announcement yet,"

"Oh... that makes sense. Thanks," I feel shy at the indirect compliment, not used to the attention coming from non-alphas. And the kind manner in which Morgan says it is a nice change to being called sexy as my face is shoved into a pillow by some alpha I don't know the name of.

But anyhow, guess it's obvious to the citizens of this pack what I'm here for. And I'm not quite sure what that means for me here. I don't imagine I have the best reputation right now, being an outsider with a child 'stealing' away their Alpha. Not that I plan to do that--it's never happening.

"Don't feel pressured, Koa. By any of this. We're all here to look out for you. You're like family now,"

Family. That word is so strange to me. I've only had Oliver, for the longest time. Before that, Des was my only real family. My parents definitely don't count. They couldn't care less for an omega child. They expelled me from their lives when I turned 10, deeming me old enough to face the world on my own.

It was Des and his father who took me in then. But his father died of sickness 3 years later, and the only place we could stay after that was the Pack House--in return for our constant labor, of course. I remember curling up together on those cold nights, holding each other for warmth. It all seems so far away now.