Chapter 23: The Harvest Moon

I watch as Morgan excitedly paces the dining hall of the packhouse, humming to himself as he piles his plate high with sweets.

"Somebody's in a good mood," I remark, resting my chin in my hands.

"Oh, you know," he smiles, more to himself than anything, "just excited for this weekend,"

He goes back to helping himself, attempting to balance three sweet buns precariously on top of one another to conserve space on his plate. How he can eat all that and not gain any weight baffles me.

I raise an eyebrow. "Am I supposed to guess what's going on or..?"

"Oh, goodness me," he finally takes his eyes off his plate, walking with me to settle down at a table. "I forget sometimes that you aren't aware of all our Pack's happenings,"

"So? What's this weekend? Is it so amazing that it's the reason you've been in la la land this entire morning?"

He flushes. "I have not been in la la land,"

I give him a pointed look, and he sighs. "Okay, fine. It's the Harvest Moon Festival. To celebrate the Goddess blessing our crops and people and all that. And, well, Xavier's asked me to attend with him!" He claps his hands together excitedly, stamping his feet rapidly into the ground.

"Oh?" I smirk. "This your first date?"

"I-I'm not sure it can be called a date," he looks uncertain, obviously doubting himself despite being the gorgeous, sweet person that he is. As if Xavier would pass up the chance to call it a date.

"Uh, yes, it is," I reassure him. "What are you going to wear?"

He twirls one of his pale braids, a thoughtful look on his face. "I don't know yet. Oh.! You know what we should do? I'll stop by yours before the festival starts! We can get ready together! Then Cyrus and Xavier can come pick us up—" he stops dead in his sentence. "Sorry, I didn't even ask if you wanted to attend yet, much less with Cyrus,"

I shrug, hating that what feels like jealousy is coursing through me right now. Xavier's already taken it upon himself to ask Morgan to this thing, while Cyrus hasn't made any mention of the festival or even hinted that he'd want to go someplace special with me. Not that it matters, Koa! I have to remind myself that keeping this boundary between us was my choice.

"Cyrus hasn't said anything about it, Morgan. I doubt he will," I shake my head. "But I'm not against going with Oliver,"

"Koa, that man would pull down the stars for you if you asked and you know it," Morgan crosses his arms, looking unconvinced.

Now that's an exaggeration...

"Well I don't want to have to ask him!" I insist stubbornly.

Morgan laughs. "Cyrus isn't a mind reader, you know,"

"Hey, stop acting like I'm dying for him to take me to this festival! I don't need an alpha to have fun!"

"You sure? You sure you don't want him to take you out, don't want his strong arms around you, don't want him speechless when he sees you all dolled up? You don't want him to pull you in close beneath the light of the full moon, leaning in and ready to kiss y—"

I throw an apple slice at him, cutting off his speech. "Someone has read one too many romance books!" I glare playfully, my face getting hot at the unwanted imagery the beta's words prompt in my mind.

He just shakes his head, picking the apple slice up from where it fell on his lap and popping it in his mouth. "You don't see the way you look at him. I do,"