Chapter 9: Outcasts

Everyone's staring. Whispering. My stomach churns in anxiety, and I clutch Oliver's hand tighter.

What will they think of us as? Outcasts? Will they judge me for being such a young mother? I'm only 22 with an 8 year old child. There are bound to be rumors and speculation,n especially if they find out that I am Cyrus's mate.

Cyrus leads us to a large house down the road, explaining that it's the Pack House. He says we can stay there. Oliver asks if he can stay with me. Cyrus says yes, which makes him squeal.

I'm worried for my son. He's acting so normal, giddy even. Yet somewhere in this land there lies a dead body slain by him. There is blood on his hands. He must be in shock right now, is all I can think. His mind is blocking out the trauma. My mind has done the same plenty of times.

*

Cyrus had to leave. Moon goddess knows where, which means we're left with Xavier, who awkwardly guides us through the pack house to our supposed room. I guess being the Alpha's mate (NOT that I've accepted it) does have its perks, because the room is huge, an alpha-sized bed in the center for the both of us to share. The walls are a cream color, with a large wardrobe, desk, vanity, bookshelf, and private bathroom. I'm in awe. It's certainly a big change from Oliver and I's previous living arrangement at our old pack's house. And despite the wealth Zacan liked to boast, it's nicer than anything he gave us either.

"Are you certain we're allowed to stay here?" I ask Xavier, confusion in my voice, "Don't omegas usually have to stay in communal quarters? Or cages?"

Xavier frowns, urging us inside the room. "Not here," he says simply. Not a man of many words, I see.

Oliver looks enthralled, running around and examining everything in sight. I smile as I watch the curious expression on his face as he takes it all in. Maybe this place won't be so bad after all.

A few knocks at the door startles me and all I can see standing there is a person carrying a huge box that covers them. "Yoo-hoo! Just the room service!" the soft, masculine voice says as the man drops the box to the floor.

He's cute, perhaps an omega, with long, white-blonde hair pulled into a braid over his shoulder. His eyes are a stormy gray, and they widen when they see us. Or, when they see Xavier.

His peachy skin flushes at the sight of the alpha. "O-oh, Xavier! I didn't know you were the one escorting them!" he stutters out nervously.

The alpha just nods, crossing his arms at his chest. "Morgan here will help you get settled in. He's brought you an assortment of clothes and other things,"

With that, he's gone, leaving the blushing Morgan standing there awkwardly as Oliver and I look to him expectantly. "Oh my goodness, how rude of me! I'm Morgan. I'm a teacher at the Pack School," he smiles, coming towards us and holding out a hand. I shake it, trying not to look too suspicious of him. I'm not good at meeting new people if you couldn't already tell.

Once we tell him our names he goes back to the box of things and starts unloading it, putting various things all over the room. "You really don't have to do that--" I say, feeling strange at someone doing tasks for me. I've only ever served others.

"It's no problem at all. You're an omega, right? It's not good for you to strain your back. Bad for your reproductive organs," he grunts, pulling out a pile of clothes and depositing it on the bed.

I raise an eyebrow at him. "And you aren't?"

"Oh, did you think I was? I get that a lot. Unfortunately, I'm just a beta," he sighs, looking disappointed. I wonder why. Isn't that a good thing? Who in their right mind would want to be an omega?