Chapter 18: Found Out

I love reading your comments on this story it really encourages me to keep writing! Also, trust me I know Koa's bein a stubborn lil thing rn. I'm trying to be realistic to how ~trauma~ affects a person, they don't always act rationally. U know me and my traumatized characters!

I have never had to hide wounds before. No one in the Blood Pack would care if they saw an omega beat up and bruised. That was the norm, anyway. I don't know how I feel about it now. It's the next day, and I was able to make it home without anyone seeing me. I quickly made a salve out of some cinnamon, oil, and water to create a substance to cover up the bruise on my face before Morgan and Oliver came back from school. But hiding the obvious limp when I walk will be a challenge. My ankle is badly sprained, and there are numerous bruises all over my body that make it hard to find clothes I can wear without showing them.

I'm so on edge, constantly checking my surroundings to see if those horrible alphas are around. I don't feel safe at all. At the same time, I don't want to tell anyone. People fussing over me or wanting to treat my injuries will make me feel awkward and overwhelmed. I'm used to dressing my own wounds and taking care of myself. It's hard to let others into that sphere after being alone in it for so long. I know I'm being extremely stubborn. But at the same time, I feel trapped in the bubble of independence I've made for myself. And... that's okay for me right now. I don't need help. I'm fine.

The weekend passes and I don't leave the room. My wolf whines, not liking having to stay inside and of course, wanting to see our mate. Oliver worries about me, but I tell him I am just tired. When the next week comes around, I'm dreading it. It means Cyrus will be expecting me at training and with my ankle, it'll be impossible. In general, us wolves heal at a fast pace, but omegas heal slowest, unfortunately. It sucks a ton.

When I spot Xavier talking with Morgan that morning at the schoolhouse after dropping Oliver off, I have an idea. I ask if he can tell Cyrus that I'm not feeling well so I won't be at training.

"Nothing to worry about. Just a bit under the weather," I force a smile. Morgan doesn't look convinced, but Xavier says he'll let Cyrus know.

I quickly leave before the blond can pester me any more about it. I do what I do best, instead. I shut myself in and everyone else out. When I get back to the room, I wipe the sticky mixture covering up my bruised face in relief; that shit feels so cakey. Tired from the agonizing pulse in my leg, I get back into bed.

It feels like Ive just drifted off to sleep when I hear a knock on the door. I startle awake, rubbing at my eyes. It must be the neighbor again. Yesterday she kept coming over to ask if we had any spare cloth because she needed more for the quilt she was making. Apparently my numerous "no"'s hadn't deterred her.

I drowsily slump out of bed, stumbling over to the door and opening it.

Except I'm not met with the short little lady but rather, the huge stature of a man that I have to crane my neck up just to see his face. When my eyes meet his own icy blues, I realize my mistake. I slap a hand over the purpling bruise, attempting to retreat back into the room, but it is far too late.

His face has darkened to an expression I've never seen before—one of pure rage. He forces himself into the room, easily disregarding my piteous attempt to close the door. It slams loudly behind him and I flinch.

"Who did this?" He growls, eyes aflame but I just shake my head, keeping my face covered.

"Koa, who dared to hurt you like this?!" his tone is full of fury, each word dripping with the intensity of it. The veins in his neck are taught, his arms tense and rip with the muscles within them.