Chapter 11: Fun

Above is a concept collage for Koa ^

It's a week later, and all I've caught are glimpses of Cyrus on and off. It's quite uncomfortable, especially because my wolf is whining and fussing more than usual. My guess is he's longing for our 'mate'.

But those are my primal instincts. Not me. I'm level-headed, and don't let my wolf control me, unlike alphas. That's the power I have as an omega, as unimportant as it may be.

I'm walking over to the the Pack School with Oliver now, listening as he goes on and on about how excited for some game they're playing today. I smile, ruffling his curls with my hand, the strands now having returned to their golden hue after I got to stop dyeing them to hide who his father was.

It's strange sometimes, looking at my little boy and seeing Zacan's features on him. The green eyes, the blonde hair, the lighter skin tone. When I was pregnant, I feared the baby bearing resemblance to it's father would make me loathe it.

Now know I was wrong. I could never punish my innocent pup for the wrongs his father did. His eyes or his hair are his own, not that horrible man's. And when he looks up at me with that face of his so full of love I know he'll never be anything like Zacan.

He did resort to violence when he killed that alpha, yes. I'm sure it will haunt him. But right now I'm just glad that he has the opportunity to be the pup he is.

When we get to the school, I meet up with Morgan who's waiting outside and greeting parents dropping their pups off.

"Flora!" Oliver exclaims, running off towards the girl the second he spots her.

Morgan laughs, shaking his head. "Someone's got a little crush,"

I let myself smile too as I watch him bound up to her, presenting a flower he picked on the way. She takes it and puts it in her hair, practically beaming.

"Young love," I say with a sigh.

"I still feel like I'm in my time of young love," Morgan has a wistful look on his face, eyes appearing unfocused as he watches the two.

"How so?" I ask.

"It's just... it's always been this one person for me. Since we were pups,"

Curious, I raise an eyebrow. "Well, who—?"

"Xavier.!" Morgan waves, face lighting up as said alpha comes up to us, face as serious as ever.

Oh. I see now.

"W-what brings you here?" Morgan's voice goes up with nervous pitch. I have to restrain the laugh bubbling up in my chest.

"Here to confirm if you and the other teachers are still bringing the pups to training tomorrow? Just so Cyrus can tone down whatever we do,"

"Ah, yes! We're definitely still coming,"

"Alright, thanks," Xavier nods once before turning away. How curt...

Morgan's smile drops, but he says nothing. I can practically see the disappointment oozing from him. Clearly he needs my help.

"Wait, Xavier," I stop him, "why don't you come in for tea? Morgan has some inside, and school doesn't officially start for another 20 minutes,"

Morgan looks at me in alarm, gray eyes flaring wide at my offer.

"Would that be okay?" Xavier asks, clearing his throat awkwardly and Morgan stutters, cheeks flushing.

"Oh, o-of course!" he glares at me but I just brush past him.

"You're welcome," I say under my breath.

I walk off, leaving the two in the situation I created, finding myself grinning all the way down the road. Moon goddess, what is up with me? I'm usually never so social.

And for the first time in a long, long time— I'm having fun. Not the happy front I put on with Oliver back in the Blood Pack to reassure him that everything was going to be okay. Real, genuine joy floods through my chest when I think about Oliver going to school and becoming better friends with Morgan. It's not bad here, not at all.

Which brings up the topic of Cyrus. Are things just going to stay like this? In this odd, awkward limbo where we pretend the other doesn't exist. Which I would be perfectly fine with, obviously. But will he? Will his family?

If I'm not here as his mate and Luna, will I even be allowed to stay?

My stream of thoughts are interrupted by a group of men and women dressed in what looks like fighting garbs making their way through the woods. Could they be heading to the training that Xavier was talking about earlier?

Curious, I stray from the road and follow after them, keeping a distance so they don't notice me. They make their way to a wide grassy field where others wait, warming up and chatting. Looks like it hasn't started yet.

I scan my eyes over the crowd from my spot on the tree line, shock overtaking me when I spot omegas. Not here to provide refreshments or clean up after the warriors. Dressed in the same clothes, weapons strapped to them, with a fierce glint in their eyes.

"I assume you are not here to speak to me," a deep voice comes from my left and I flinch, the hair on the back of my neck raising from the surprise.

"C-Cyrus," I mumble stupidly, regaining my footing in embarrassment. He always catches me off guard.

"Am I wrong?"

"No... I just wondered what was going on here,"

"We train 6 days a week,"

"You allow the omegas? Even though we're weaker?" I cross my arms, waiting for him to reveal the catch to this seemingly equal set-up.

"I do not believe your gender is weak. Rather, your strengths lie in different areas than alphas or betas,"

What? Is he serious? I've been told all my life that the only things omegas are good for are pleasure or giving birth to alpha pups. Can he really not think the same?

"And what would those strengths be?" I ask.

"Agility, endurance. Precision. Stealth. Plenty more,"

I give him a look of disbelief. "But alphas are bigger. You guys are faster and stronger. Do you really think the qualities you just listed are enough?"

Cyrus shrugs his shoulders, "I admit that alphas have a physical advantage, but having only strength will get you nowhere,"

I guess he does have a point. But also— why are we acting like the last time we spoke didn't end... well, like how it did.

"I could... train you, if you would like," he suddenly suggests.

I stare at him like he's grown a second head. "What?"

"If you want to learn to fight, I would not mind giving you lessons,"

Oh no. That doesn't sound like a good idea. The two of us? One on one, definitely, because he couldn't just stick a beginner like me in with the rest of this experienced training group. Us alone together would mean possibly getting closer, and he'd get the wrong idea. The idea that I'll accept the bond. That I'll give in to the pull between us.

But I won't. "No, thank you," I refuse, knowing I'm being stubborn.

His face falls in disappointment and my wolf whimpers, sad that I've hurt our mate yet again. But no one gets what it's like. They think it's so easy for me to just let him in. It's not.

Not when you've been used and abused all your life by alphas that had complete control over you. That took away your autonomy, your freedom, your happiness. That stole your innocence away when you were still a pup.

I can't afford to let my heart falter, even if things are different now. Even if Cyrus could be different than the ones that have hurt me. I have to focus solely on the only thing that matters anymore, which is building a life for Oliver and I.

It's a slow burn, y'all. But oh will it be worth it. 😊