night rides || robbie valentino.

Going for nighttime car rides is something me and my friends did often back home. We would drive down backroads and listen to music as we talked about whatever we wanted to. Since I've moved to Gravity falls I've missed those moments where I felt free. I wanted to make new memories with my friends here; if I had more than one friendship that is.
I met Robbie back when I first moved here. Accidentally bumping into the brooding and dark haired boy earned me a glare followed by a 'Watch where you're walking!' but after running into each other a few more times we began talking and instantly clicked. Since then he's been the only friend I've made here.
As of right now, me and Robbie were talking over the phone; It was pretty late in the night and neither of us could sleep.

"My parents are so bright and happy for funeral home workers. It's kinda weird." Robbie says, he's been on a rant about his parents' upbeat personalities for the past 20 minutes. I was just quietly laughing and putting in my opinions on his parents.

"They've always been really sweet to me. They're probably the most upbeat people in this town," I could hear him groan on the other end. "It's weird how you turned out so different from them. Complete opposites!" I finish, laughing out the last part.

"What's so funny? The fact me and my parents can't get along?" He jokes, I rolled my eyes even though he couldn't see.

"You guys do get along, you're just kind of.. difficult to agree with." I smile, knowing he knew I was right.

"Whatever.. are you down to get out of these houses?" He asks, the question sparks an idea I've had in my mind for a while.

"Sure, why don't we take your van for a ride?" I say, hoping he would say yes.

"Why not? I'll be there in a few." He says and quickly hung up; I could feel he was excited too.

    I slowly pulled myself off my bed to put on some joggers and a hoodie. Fall in Oregon was colder than I remember and the need to layer was  coming strong. Being 17, my parents don't mind where I go as long as I let them know I'm going out. I sent a text to our chat and walked out onto the extremely small porch we have.
    A few minutes of standing in the wind passed by and finally Robbie showed up. I quickly got into the passengers side and sighed.

"You could have waited inside. I would have texted you when I got here." He said, watching as I was trying to warm myself up. I smiled and crossed my legs on the seat.

"I know but I wanted to wait outside." I replied and looked over at him. He was wearing the purple skeleton jacket I had gotten him on one of my family trips.

"I didn't expect it to get cold that quick." Robbie says as he begins to drive down the dark and empty road.

"Me either, better than it being too hot though. We get to wear these cool hoodies!" I say, I looked over just in time to see the slight smile on his face.

    For a while the car was filled with a comfortable silence, only the sounds of quiet music and driving were alive. The town always seemed like it had a blanket of comfort over it. Even with the weirdness; it made it almost homey, in a way. No matter if I missed being where I was, the buzz of my old town was no match for the sweet, calm silence Gravity Falls had. I truly loved it more here because of that fact.

"Are you hungry?" Robbie finally spoke, breaking the silence. I looked over at him and nodded,

"I am, do you want to stop at a convenience store?"

    He smiled, not just a small and unnoticeable one; A real smile.

"Sounds fun, I know one close by here." He says and takes a turn, when he said close I didn't think he meant close close. Within a second he was parked and getting out of the car; I followed after him.

    We walked into the store, the worker said some kind of rehearsed greeting as we walked into separate isles.

"Man, the amount of different chips brands is wild," I mumble to myself, grabbing a party sized bag of Corncornos and made my way to find Robbie.

"Hey, they've got pizza!" He told me as I walked closer.

"Wanna get a large one?" I ask, he smiles and nods. "I'll get it, can you grab us drinks?" I nod and made my way towards the cold drinks. I grabbed a six pack of Pitt Cola and walked to tie register.

"Will this be all for you?" The lady asks, looking at us with a smile.

"Yes ma'am- Did you order the pizza?" I ask, turning to look at Robbie.

"Duh," Was all he said, I rolled my eyes and pulled out my wallet.

"You two are a cute couple." She says as she began putting our things into bags. "It'll be $8.23."

     I heard Robbie chuckle at my frozen expression, I took out the money and handed it to her.

"We're just friends." I tell her and elbow Robbie in the arm, earning an 'Ow!' as he rubbed his upper arm. The lady laughed as she put the money into the register.

"That's what I said about my guy friend when we were in high school, he hated it. We ended up getting married!" She says, I quietly sighed and put my hands into my pockets.

"We're just best friends." Robbie says, I exhale a laugh and take the bags.

"Well, I hope it stays that way. Close friendships should be protected these days." She smiles and hands us our pizza. "Have a good night, stay safe you two."

"We will, thank you!" I say and quickly walk out to Robbie's van.

    We got in and I immediately heard Robbie start to laugh. I looked at him, confused.

"Guess we look like a good couple." He says and puts the car into drive. I roll my eyes and he starts to drive.

"She seemed to think so." I open my bag of chips and eat one.

"She did, she probably wasn't convinced even when I said that." He says, turning into the parking lot for the park. He puts the car into park and turns to face me, I did the same. He motioned his head towards the back and I smiled, crawling one after another into the clearer space.

    He opened the pizza, handing a slice over to me. Hours past as we talked and ate the food we had bought. It was far into the night now and I was beginning to get tired, I could tell he was too.

"Are you ready to head back?" I ask, he raises his brows and looks at me.

"Getting tired, yeah." He says, we crawl back into the front seats and he started to drive me home.

    What the lady at the register said has been replaying in my head since we left the store. I didn't want to think of Robbie in that way, he was my only friend here and I did not want to ruin it with those feelings. I was pulled my zone out when I felt the car stop.

"This is your stop, zoney." He said, I smiled at the nickname. I've always liked it, he told me he calls me that because I was zoned out every time we ran into each other. I got out of the car and walked over to his side, leaning on the rolled down window.

"Thanks, Robbs. I had fun tonight." I say, he smiles at me.

"I did too, let's plan this again sometime." He says and leans his arm on mine. I stood up a little taller and kissed his cheek, waving to him as I walked into my house.

    I watched as he drove off, I could faintly see the smile on his face. I changed into my regular sleepwear and laid down. Maybe I'll text him to do this again soon.