11

CW: suggestive content

Your first thought when you woke up the next day was: he told me he loved me. You stared at the ceiling for almost an hour replaying the situation in your head. You scolded yourself for just giving him an awkward smile and leaving. He hadn't texted you or anything. You worried that you messed everything up. You couldn't fathom having to tear yourself from him based on an embarrassing situation. It had only been a few months and he was already throwing out 'I love you all casual like. You thought you'd be more upset at him for putting you in that difficult spot, but you didn't mind. You wished you would've told him you loved him back.

You thought about it through breakfast, when your mom was complaining about evil in the world, even when you were blaring music as you drove to work. You thought about texting him, but it didn't feel right to just tell him in a text. You wanted to apologize for leaving without saying anything back.

"Y/n, when you get the chance can you mark these jeans down," Daya sat a bunch of jeans down on the folding table next to the registers.

The store had been busier than usual because of the holidays. It didn't sway you from doing your usual work. Being one of the longest workers had its perks when you worked with Daya. Given she was just a couple of years older than you, she didn't care what you did as long as you got it done.

You typically did get it done. However, you struggled to get anything done for hours of your shift. Daya kept having to tell you to help out the seasonal people on the registers. You messed up scanning things.

An hour before your lunch you just decided to give up. You went to ask Daya to let you go home since she had more than enough closers for the night, plus she wasn't the closing manager. Your mind wasn't there. It kept drifting off to think about Chris, Emilia, and Tom. You were sure there were some worries for your finals as well hidden underneath all the superficial things.

"What's going on Y/n, you're all sad and mopey?" Daya commented on your sluggish motions.

You shrugged, "just got a lot going on, with finals and my personal life, I'm just stressed," you told her. You hoped she wouldn't ask any further. You could cry with the way you were feeling.

"Aww, I hope you feel better soon, let me know if there's anything I can help with."

Your smile was gloomy. You went to finish marking down the jeans Daya asked you to mark down. You were almost done when you got a tap on your shoulder.

"Excuse me, I'm looking for my girlfriend, who I haven't heard from since yesterday night," Chris's voice filled your ears.

Turning around, you gasped and hugged him tight, "what are you doing here?"

"Well you haven't texted me and I thought it might be because of what I said. I didn't mean to scare you off."

You finally took all of him in and realized he was holding a bag from your favorite takeout place. You pulled him to the side so people wouldn't think anything of it. Luckily you were in a secluded part of the store.

"You didn't scare me off."

He raised his eyebrow.

"Okay maybe just a little, but only because that's a big step and I'm hesitant to throw those words around," you explained.

"I get it and I'm sorry that I overstepped a boundary," he stroked my arm.

You shook your head, "no, it's okay really, I guess I'm terrified to say the words because it makes our relationship real. After I say them I won't be able to keep you to myself, I'll have to tell people because I don't want to be in love and not be able to say it."