8 | Finally Free

- 8 -

Lilith curled up and hugged her hair in a vain play for warmth. The thin dress her father had packed did little to keep the winter air at bay, even with her nightgown worn beneath it as an extra layer. Her spot at the dock's edge didn't help matters. Heavy wind blew from the sea and carried away what little heat Lilith had left. She wanted to move, but this was where the people were, and she needed to make money.

        Lilith stared down at the ticket meant for her father. It felt wrong even thinking to sell it, but she knew he would want her to. He would rather his daughter earn money to live than keep a reminder he was gone. The emptiness in her heart would be reminder enough. So she held her ticket out and begged.

        "Might you wish to visit Eden? I can sell for a good price!"

        The dock was clogged with people and Lilith held her ticket towards any that came near. One by one they would all avert their eyes. After each rejection she took a moment to curl up and shiver, fighting back the cold as best she could. As she shook she imagined boarding the ship, imagined going to her room, imagined laying in a warm bed. Then she would lift her ticket to the next person and start over.

        A muscular man in working clothes passed by. Lilith doubted he was the type of person that could travel across the sea on a whim but she tried anyway. "Might you be in need of passage to Eden?"

        The man put his head down and hurried past. Lilith continued her warming routine, then looked to the end of the dock. The ship towered above the crowd, a steel titan. She had never seen one in person. In her books, they were always described as wooden structures with sails to catch the wind. Metal was so heavy, she wondered how it didn't sink.

        I just hope it's warm inside.

        Lilith returned to observing the foot traffic. A pair of men in fine clothes came near so she held her ticket high. "A good price for anyone wishing to visit Eden!"

        "You're trying to sell right in front of the ship? Are you stupid? We wouldn't be here if we didn't have tickets."

        Lilith didn't let the words discourage her; the discouragement had come at least an hour past. She had moved well on to acceptance. She lowered her ticket back to her lap and simply waited for the next opportunity. There was nothing else for her to do.

        "I have a spare if you wish to visit Eden." Lilith held her ticket out toward a passing group five strong. Five chances at a sale. An older woman with short-cut blond hair turned and walked over to her. Lilith sat straight. Her luck had finally turned around.

        "I can offer a good pri—"

        "How dare you! For someone like you to even talk to me!"

        The woman had bothered to come close but shouted as if she was still yards away. Specks of spit slapped at Lilith's face cooling instantly against her skin. The frustration that had been building inside her for hours boiled and spilled over. Tears started down her face stealing away even more heat.

        "What did I do?"

        "I don't expect much from the riffraff, but you really think I'd believe you don't know scalping is illegal? Maybe I should get the constable and you can try and convince him."

        Lilith crawled forward on her knees, reaching out to the woman. "No, please! I didn't know." The woman backed away, disgust painted across her face. Lilith pulled her hand back. She couldn't afford to make things worse. If this woman caused her arrest she would never make it aboard the ship. The hunters would catch up and she would be killed; her final promise to her father broken.