35 | Renewed Search

- 35 -

"When she left, I tried to chase after her, but that's when you threw your jacket around me."

        "You were naked."

        Lilith dragged her gaze up from the tile floor of the cramped medical room to regard Allister. After Pandora left, he had stepped in to take care of her. It was his authority that shooed away all the onlookers. It was his shoulder that had helped her to the ship's medical room. And before they dressed her in the blue paper gown, it was his coat that keep her modesty.

        "It's not that I didn't appreciate it."

        "But...?"

        Lilith gripped tight to the hem of the paper dress. "There is no but. It's just... I wish I could have stopped her."

        "That counts as a but," Allister pointed out.

        "Not helpful." Lilith let out a loud sigh and returned to staring at nothing in particular. "I probably shouldn't care, right? But it was important to me that she was there. That it was her. It made me happy. But then she left."

        Lilith fell silent, content to wallow in her pity. A light scratching pulled her attention away from her heartache. Allister sat on the small padded stool in the corner, scribbling something in his notebook. It wasn't the first time; he had occupied the spot for hours, taking notes all along. She had figured it was related to his hunt, though she was still grateful for the company, especially in Pandora's absence. He had documented her examination and he had documented her recount of the attack. But now, the doctor was long gone and her story was over.

        "What are you writing down?"

        "Just a reminder to give that woman a piece of my mind."

        The idea sent a wave of nausea coursing through Lilith. If Allister wanted her to regret opening up to him, that was the way.

        "Don't you dare! I don't want her finding out I said that. You can't tell her."

        Allister crossed his leg over his knee, then leaned forward. The room was small enough that the motion covered most of the distance to the examination table where she sat. The proximity made her uncomfortable, and when he spoke her nerves were justified.

        "I'm not going to tell her; you are."

        "What? No the hell I'm not!"

        "Yes, you are. The whole reason you left your room was to look for Pandora."

        "And I found her, but she left. She's done with me."

        Allister leaned back, pinching the bridge of his nose. "Look, I've known a lot of difficult people in my life. On God, that woman must be their queen. She's the type of person to see something she wants, then tie her shoes together before she chases it. It's self sabotage of the highest order. I don't understand it at all, but she climbed 100 feet without a harness to make sure you were safe. It doesn't seem to me like she's done with you."

        Lilith bit her lower lip and tried to form a response, but she came away empty handed. It was hard to argue with someone when you thought they were right. Yet, the hurt was still fresh in her heart. She wasn't ready to try again yet, so invented a reason not to.

        "Even if you're right, she's still pushing me away. If I go to her now she'll keep trying to avoid me."

        "I don't think that's the case. I bet she knows she screwed up. Give her enough time, she may even seek you out, but chances are we'd be in Eden by then."