Chapter 14- A Date?

"So you're going on a date with Sebastian Sallow? An actual date... while you're dating Elias?" Poppy asked.

"It's not a date."

Poppy, Imelda, and Natty sat on the couch in her room, shoulder to shoulder. Their faces said it all, but Imelda was the only one to call it "Rubbish!"

"What do you mean rubbish? Sebastian and I used to go out on adventures all the time last year. Why should this be any different?" Lara was lying out on her bed, with the book The Secrets of Merlin in hand. Next time she sits down to try and read in peace, she swears to herself that she won't drop a bomb on the girls like this.

She and Imelda had already showered since they won their match earlier. Lara was thankful she had enough time to figure out why the hell she agreed to meet up with Sebastian tonight, alone. But hey, at least she smelled better than before.

"Oh please Lara, you know why." Natty laughed through her teeth. "How you look at each other is enough to make anyone standing around you both taste a vomit-flavored jelly bean."

Lara frowned, semi-insulted. "We're friends."

"Who argues like an old married couple?" Poppy added.

"We only argue because he's so bloody difficult." Lara threw down her book and stood. She was now pacing the room, body filling with ideas of actually dating Sebastian. Thoughts like skin-to-skin contact, kissing, and sharing sounds that only a couple would know. She wasn't nervous before, but now... "Everything he does is intended to get a rise out of me. He purposefully hurts me and reels me back in like a fish on a hook."

"Oh come on Lara, you're doing the exact same thing to him. You two love the whole cat-and-mouse game. I think it turns you both on." Imelda hit the nail on the head, but Lara wouldn't admit it and give Imelda the satisfaction.

"There is no game, no cat or mouse. It's just me and Sebastian."

"Yeah, it will be. Alone. On a date." Poppy said.

They all giggled. Lara grew more nervous and anxious. "Maybe it wasn't a good idea to agree to see him. Maybe I'm giving him the wrong idea."

Natty crossed her arms and said, "What have you been doing to make him like you?"

"What have I been doing?" Now she was angry. "I've been existing! Studying, going to class, saving Hogwarts in my spare time apparently! How does one make themselves stand out when they're trying to get someone to like them? Huh? I don't know! I came here as a fifth year so that alone could have sparked his interest. I helped him a lot when things were tough for his family. Ugh, even Ominis told me last year that Sebastian could use a friend like me. Someone whose patient, willing to let him ramble, someone who cares about protecting others even if it means losing yourself along the way."

Imelda smirked. "You two are something else. You deserve each other for sure."

Lara's index finger and thumb pinched the top of her nose. Stress settling into her hand like an old friend. "Well, what about Elias? I sort of committed to him already. I don't want to leave him in the dust. He's been so kind to me."

"Who cares about Elias? You haven't said more than fifteen words about him other than his intention to court you. Someone mentions Sebastian, and it's like your roof is blown off. You will not shut up about him. So who's kidding who here?" Lara didn't like it when Imelda was so very on point. It was excruciatingly annoying.

"Lara, do yourself a favor. For the sake of your sanity, it's not a date. This is just two friends going out to spend time with one another and catch up. That's it. We're sorry we even brought up the idea of it being a date." Natty stood up and hugged Lara. She received it well and squeezed her right back.