Things Never Change

It had been one month since the Red Lantern threat had been dealt with. And Y/N had slowly been adjusting to his new normal, Daxam was, troubled shall we say. Even after he was gone for so long, it seems nothing changed. Even after Y/N returned to his father, the reunion was less and stellar. 

(Flashback)

As Y/N walked through one of Daxam's cities, he looked around at his home. The pyramid like buildings, sky cars racing through the skylines, kids using holograms to play hames with one another. Everything was so peaceful and tranquil, it almost made Y/N forget about the troubles of the universe beyond his own world. He wore the Green Lantern ring, but the not the uniform itself, it would draw too much attention. But as he came to his families home residence, he did his best to compose himself. 

'Was it always this hot?' Y/N thought to himself, looking up at the red sun. He now knew that Red Sun radiation drained his powers, but he didn't realise it would be this bad. 

Walking straight in would defiantly not be the best option. So he decided to ring the what Hal would call a door bell. But on Daxam they were known as echo rings. Activating the echo ring, the chime went throughtout the whole house and Y/N took in a sharp breath as he could his father getting closer to the door. 

"Oh dares bother me now" he could F/N shout as he went to open the door. But as t crept open, F/N's eyes softened. "Y/N! Is that really you?" It was his father, F/N , who had been waiting for him. F/N was a tall, imposing figure with a stern expression, but Y/N could see the concern in his eyes.

Y/N forced a smile and approached his father, trying to seem nonchalant. "Hey, Dad. Yeah, it's me. I just got back from a long trip" Y/N said, tears welling up in his eyes as his father brought him in for a hug. Despite their differences, the two still cared for one another. Y/N could feel just how tight his father hugged him, he clearly missed him. 

F/N's expression softened a bit, but he still seemed skeptical. "A long trip, you say? Where have you been, exactly?" he said pulling back from the hug. 

Y/N's smile faltered. He knew that he couldn't tell his father the truth. He couldn't reveal that he had been traveling the galaxy as a Green Lantern, sworn to protect the universe from threats both known and unknown. It was a secret that he had to keep at all costs.

"Uh, you know. Here and there. Just exploring," Y/N said, trying to keep his tone light.

F/N l raised an eyebrow. "Exploring, huh? That's quite vague, son. You've been gone for months. I've been worried sick. You didn't respond to any of my communicator calls, I was getting worries" he said, walking inside the house with his son following. 

Y/N felt a pang of guilt. He knew that he had left without telling his parents where he was going, but he couldn't risk them finding out the truth. "I'm sorry, Dad. I didn't mean to worry you. I just needed some time to clear my head."

F/N sighed. "I understand that, Y/N. But you can't just disappear like that without telling anyone. You're a member of this family, and I care about you. And as the future of this House, you have a duty, and responsibility" he went on. He had only had his son back for a few minutes and already he was thinking Y/Ns future. What F/N wanted for Y/N, not what Y/N wanted. It was always like this. 

Y/N felt his resolve weaken. He knew that his father was always like this, things never change co they. "I know father, I know". 

F/N studied his son for a moment before nodding. "Alright, Y/N. We'll talk more about this later. Right now you must be starving, freshen up and join me. You smell awful"

Y/N nodded, relieved that his father had let the matter drop for now. "Sure thing, Dad. I'll be there in a minute."

As he made his way to his room, Y/N couldn't help but feel guilty. He knew that he was lying to his father, but he couldn't risk revealing his secret identity. It was a burden that he had to bear alone. His room was just as he left it, star charts, data on passing asteroids, an automatic telescope that monitored everything passing objects around Daxam. Y/N was even one of the only Daxamites that monitored Daxam's many moons. Which seemed to give him an idea.