Chapter 7

Natalia's POV

Trudy was cold as ice, though the sheets were soaked through.

"Trudy, can you hear me?" I whispered clutching her hand. She didn't say a word she was completely out of it. The baby started crying, obviously hungry. I walked over to her little basket and picked her up. Her bottle was already half full someone must of filled it up with formula.

"Sorry little one, your going to have to have it cold." I sat back down in the chair beside her bed and fed the baby.

"Hey" I looked up at the entrance to Trudy's room. Bray stood there smiling.

"Why are you smiling?" I frowned.

"Dal got the meds" Bray indicated for me to follow him. I jumped up meeting Dal half way.

"You mean..." Bray nodded.

"Trudy's going to be okay" I met Dal walking half running to Trudy's room.

"We need to get this to Trudy" Dal informed. I led Dal to Trudy's room trying to contain my excitement, I held the baby in my arms rocking her trying to keep my nerves at bay

"How many should we give her?" Bray asked.

"Two" I answered.

"Yeah, two's a safe amount" Dal shook two out of the bottle and grabbed a glass of water from her bedside trable. Dal walked over to Trudy and rested her head on his arm. He dropped the pills in her mouth and flushed them down with the glass of water.

"What happens now?" I asked, as I gently rocked the baby.

"I'll come back in a few hours, see how things are progressing" Dal nodded.

"Alright, well we should give her some space, let her rest" Bray explained. I left Trudy's room and wondered over to Salene's. The baby was making my arms stiff, and I didn't want to put her down in Trudy's room incase she woke her.
"Salene?" I wondered in, examining the room looking for Salene. She popped her head up looking right at me.

"What?" Salene looked tired.

"I was wondering if you could take the baby for awhile." I walked over to the edge of the bed.

"Why can't you leave her in Trudy's room?" She asked.

"Dal got the medicine for Trudy, but I don't want her to wake her up" I explained.

"I'm not a slave, can't you find somebody else!?" Salene snapped. I sat next to Salene on her bed.

"Salene, is everything okay?" I asked her.

She sighed. "I'm fine" she stood up and took a step away from me.

"Have I done something to offend you?" I asked.

"Here, I'll take her for awhile" Salene took the baby out of my arms and walked out of the room. Completely ignoring my question.

I walked out of the room angrily needing something to eat. After this hole thing with me and now Trudy I never really gave it much thought to how hungry I was.

I entered the café and opened the cabinet of food. I grabbed a can of tin beans and used a can opener to open it. I lookes at the stove and looked at the tin beans. Scrap it I thought. I could eat the tin beans cold.

I planted myself on a table and spooned it into my mouth hardly chewing before I swallowed.

"You look hungry" Amber told me taking the seat opposite me.

"I'm starving" I said shoveling down another spoonful of tinned beans.

Amber looked at me like she wanted something, "what?" I shrugged.

"What really happened down in that ally way?" She asked.

I stopped feeding my mouth and looked at her. I placed my spoon on the table and sighed "I just got beaten up by some tribe" I told her.

"What tribe?" Amber pressed.

I hesitated before I answered, "Locos" I watched intensely to see Amber's reaction but it remained the same. She opened her mouth to say something but Zandra interrupted.

"Uh, everywhere I go it's either sickness or sadness" Zandra slumped in a chair beside me. She looked at the two of us adjusting her earing. "Did I interrupt something?"

"No" Amber and I said at the same time.

Zandra shrugged and sighed, "and I don't even know what Lex and Ryan are doing"

"Knowing Lex he's probably making everyone life a living hell" I said.

"That's not fair, you don't know what we've been through and what he's done to help us survive" Zandra's voice was a little stern but her face was relaxed.

"Natalia, Trudy's waking up!" Dal had a huge smile spread across his face as he repeated his words to me.

I jumped from my seat and almost ran to her room. Her eyes were open and Bray sat next to her, clutching her hand. Her eyes fell to me, they were cold but welcoming at same time.

"Hey" I smiled at her as I walked towards the bed. I sat beside her and held her hand, a deep understanding passed through us. It was like we suddenly understood everything, like everything that happened just passed.

~~~~~

I was sitting on the bench beneath the stairs. Patsy came up to me, and sat beside me. "Will Trudy be okay?" She asked.

"I think she will be now" I answered, looking at her curiously.

"What happened?" Patsy asked.

"When she had Brady, because there wasn't any sanitation and cleanliness, she got sick" I told her.

"But she will definitely be okay now?" She asked again.

"Yes" I answered her again.

"Patsy!" Cloe looked at her friend with disappointment.

"What?" Patsy looked at Cloe.

""Trudy's her sister, leave her alone!" Chloe took her friends wrist and dragged her up and away.

"It's okay Chloe" I said smiling. "She was only talking."

"Well she shouldn't be talking about Trudy." Cloe stated. I was about to say something else when Zandra wondered in.

"Have any of you seen Lex? He's suppose to be having dinner with me" Zandra ran her hand again the rail and sighed in frustration.

"Maybe he had better things to do." I said.

"Ha ha" Zandra laughed sarcastically as she wondered back up the stairs, and that's when I heard it.