Chapter 3

"What was that all about?" I asked Cara. She shook her head. Her clothes were dirty and her blonde hair was a mess. Her eyes were bloodshot and distant. "What did he do to you?" I whisper. A tear falls in silence on her perfectly sculpted face.

   "Mother..."She whispers and closes herself in her room which was right off of our dingy kitchen. I drag myself to my room. I wish she didn't mention her. I wish she hadn't said that. She knows how all of us act when we are reminded.

    Four scared eyes peer at me once I go down the hallway to a set of four doors.

    "It's alright," I say and hug them tight. They all are so innocent. Fragile. Young. Still to young to hear what happened with their parents. I gave them a fake smile and tuck Fredrick, Ronald, John, and Mark in bed. They fall asleep instantly and breath in slowly and exhale with relaxation. A tear begins to slip down my cheek. It be too long before we will have to... I shut my eyes. No. Don't think about it. Why did Cara have to mention her name? Why couldn't I just live on as a regular girl and not have to worry about the parental abilities that I must use every single hour of every single day.

    I trudge out of my room, shaking my head. I breath in, breath out. It has been a month since I've had this melancholic feeling. That name. That horrid, indescribable, hormonal imbalance causing name. Mother. Mother, mother, mother. I would be broken if she mentioned that name that stands along side mother. Curse Cara for starting my emotion ride to go. To take me on a dizzying, whirring, vomit causing ride. One with no laughter or smiles. Just a dark, endless stomach launching ride.

   But I know she didn't mean to. I am inflicting it on myself. I could have controlled it, but my heart has been locked up too long. Mother. Father. Two. Little. Words.