Reincarnation 2

Merlin was astonished that Arthur's father was not as much of a dick than Uther had been. Yes, Nathanial was still one, but he was at least decent enough. Though the man told in blunt ways that he won't be able to leave, but still would be able to move around the mansion.

Not easy with him being unable to walk and he would need to be brought to certain places with a wheelchair, yet never alone. It was fine with him as Arthur was the one who most of the time stayed with him. His friends too and Gwen made it her mission to make him feel as welcome as she could make him feel.

Even making often food that he enjoyed or was his favorite. The two even sometimes cooked or baked together. Not easy but still possible as he was doing things on the table and Gwen was the one who did the things that Merlin wouldn't be able to.

Leon often gave him books to read. Weirdly enough the man somehow always knew what he enjoyed to read and so he was often seen reading in the library with Leon. They often conversed about the books that they both enjoyed or had just finished reading.

Percy decided to do things that they had done in their past life, being outside enjoying nature -even when it was just in the big garden of the mansion- and just silently curled into each other. The man was amazing to cuddle with and he adored those times, as somehow the man always knew when he was not in the mood to do anything. Being outside in nature always helped him

Then there was Arthur. The two still bickered most of the time, but the man was making sure that he was comfortable. There was nothing that he would miss, even making sure that at least Gwaine and Lancelot could visit. How he managed to make Nathanial agree to this, Merlin did not know. The two were relieved and happy to see him and their friends. That was not the only thing that Arthur had done. The man was giving him small things, his favorite food, a cute blue gemstone butterfly pendant, and things to paint, as he adorned this. Even making picnics. Yet it still left a bitter taste in his mouth, knowing that his father did not care about his well-being.

The two were unimpressed with their father and it seemed the man was uncaring for his health and safety. Arthur was pissed and he couldn't blame or stop the man from going to his father and beating probably the shit out of him. But Arthur didn't know exactly that this would not help.

Yet there were still things that Merlin knew would hurt him and so he told Arthur exactly what he could do to make the man hurt. Usually, Merlin wouldn't but he knew that when he would stay quiet, Arthur would take matters into his hands and that would not go well.

Even though the man was his blood relative, and had treated Merlin badly, he did not want him to get himself killed. His father had regretted not paying his debt as the rumors that were started made the man be seen in a bad rep not only that but all the money that was unpaid had been quickly paid.

Merlin could have gone back but didn't want to. His father would not change and Merlin was not sure that he wouldn't end up getting harmed in some way. That was something that the twins agreed on and Arthur decided that there was no way that he would get back to that place.

So, he stayed. Merlin may or may not have gotten a slight crush on Arthur. However, he was hesitant to even say anything as he knew that Gwen and the man had only recently broken it off. The reason was unsaid but the two were still on great terms. It seemed that both had started to fall for someone else. Who it was, neither had told.

Merlin hoped that both would find their happiness and even when Arthur was not in love with him, that was fine. He could live with this.

"Hey, I was wondering why you and Arthur haven't yet started something." Gwen pondered in the middle as they were making batter.

His eyes blinked a few times, then he realized what she meant and his cheeks blushed.

"I-I don't know what you mean." He said it way too quickly as he told this to Gwen.

"Oh come on. We both know that you love him. He does too, though he didn't say it out loud when we broke it off."

The pointed look made him shrink down. Because he knows that Gwen would be the first one to realize that he has a crush on Arthur. Merlin was pretty sure that the twins knew too. Gwaine for sure, with how he always gave him eyebrow wiggles whenever Arthur was asking him to do something with the man.

"I don't think that he does." He muttered.

"Merlin." Gwen started. "Arthur had been courting you subconsciously since a week after you ended up here. So trust me, he does and doesn't think you love him back." Gwen sounded so deadpan and done with them that Merlin winced.