Chapter 8: Clarisse gets "Pulverized"

Chapter eight: Clarisse gets "Pulverized"

Y/N POV: TODAY'S THE CAPTURE THE FLAG GAME!!!!! Though on the outside I looked calm, but in the inside I was screaming. At least I got to train for a little while the grateful part of me stated. I was losing my mind trying to come up with a solid plan as to how to go on the quest when there was only supposed to be 3 people (demigods? A satyr?) embarking on the quest to recover Zeus's master bolt. Whap! The sound of Percy getting thrashed by Luke's sword brang me back to reality. "No, not that far up!" Whap! "Lunge!" Whap! "Now, back!" Whap! By the time he called a break, Percy was soaked in sweat. Everybody swarmed the drinks cooler. Luke poured ice water on his head, Percy followed suit and I smiled mischievously— already knowing what would come next.

"Okay, everybody circle up!" Luke ordered. "If Percy doesn't mind, I want to give you a little demo."The Hermes kids all gathered around. They were suppressing smiles. I kept my best poker face and waited for the action to start. Luke told everybody he was going to demonstrate a disarming technique: how to twist the enemy's blade with the flat of your own sword so that he had no choice but to drop his weapon.

"This is difficult," he stressed. "I've had it used against me. No laughing at Percy, now. Most swordsmen have to work years to master this technique." I coughed. "Or swordswoman." He looked at me and corrected. I remembered this part of the book, the feminist in me was flipping out—wanting to punch Luke square in the face.

He demonstrated the move on me in slow motion. Sure enough, the sword clattered out of my hand. "Now in real time," he said, after Percy retrieved his weapon. "We keep sparring until one of us pulls it off. Ready, Percy?"

He nodded, and Luke came after him. 'Somehow' (cue the sarcasm) Percy kept him from getting a shot at the hilt of the sword. He countered Luke's attacks. He stepped forward and tried a thrust. Luke deflected it easily, but I saw a change in his face. His eyes narrowed, and he started to press Percy with more force.

The sword looked as if it grew heavy in his hand, and Percy was losing his strength. So, in one last resort, he tried the disarming maneuver.

The blade hit the base of Luke's and Percy twisted, putting his whole weight into a downward thrust. Clang! Luke's sword rattled against the stones. The tip of his blade was an inch from the older boy's undefended chest.

The other campers grew silent while I held a proud smile. (Or was it a smirk? I don't remember) Percy lowered the sword. "Um, sorry." For a moment, Luke was too stunned to speak.

"Sorry?" His scarred face broke into a grin. "By the gods, Percy, why are you sorry? Show methat again!" This time, there was no contest. The moment our swords connected, Luke hit my hilt and sent my weapon skidding across the floor. 

After a long pause, somebody in the audience said, "Beginner's luck?" Luke wiped the sweat off his brow. He appraised at me with an entirely new interest. "Maybe," He said. "But I wonder what Percy could do with a balanced sword..."

—————

That night after dinner, there was a lot more excitement than usual. At last, it was time for capture the flag.When the plates were cleared away, the conch horn sounded and we all stood at our tables. Campers yelled and cheered as Annabeth and two of her siblings ran into the pavilion carrying a silk banner. It was about ten feet long, glistening grey, with a painting of a barn owl above an olive tree. From the opposite side of the pavilion, Clarisse and her buddies ran in with another banner, of identical size, but gaudy red, painted with a bloody spear and a boar's head.

Percy, obviously confused, turned to Luke and yelled over the noise, "Those are the flags?" "Yeah."

"Ares and Athena always lead the teams?"