Chapter 10: I play tag with fiery whips

(A/N: Two chapters in one day! Hope you enjoy. Also, point out any typos, spelling or grammar mistakes)

Chapter ten: I play tag with fiery whips

Y/N POV: Chiron was waiting for us in his wheelchair. Next to him stood Argus, the camp's head of security. 

"This is Argus," Chiron told Percy. "He will drive you into the city, and, er, well, keep an eye on things." I almost laughed at the irony if not distracted by the sound of footsteps behind us. Luke came running up the hill, carrying a pair of basketball shoes. I eyed them wearily because I knew they were cursed.

"Hey!" he panted. "Glad I caught you." Annabeth blushed, the way she always did when Luke was around.

"Just wanted to say good luck," Luke told Percy. "And I thought ... um, maybe you could use these." He handed him the sneakers, which looked pretty normal, despite the fact that they were meant to drag the wearer into Tartarus.

Luke said, "Maia!" And white bird's wings sprouted out of the heels, startling me so much, I dropped them. The shoes flapped around on the ground until the wings folded up and disappeared. "Awesome!" Grover commented.

Luke smiled. "Those served me well when I was on my quest. Gift from Dad. Of course, I don't use them much these days...." His expression turned sad, and I remembered his backstory.

"Hey, man," Perce said, blushing almost as hard as Annabeth. "Thanks."

"Listen, Percy ..." Luke looked uncomfortable. "A lot of hopes are riding on you. So just ... kill some monsters for me, okay?,"

They shook hands, and I had a flashback to my old school. There was a kid in my class who loved to handshake people, but whenever they did, it was super hard and everyone was always weary of their handshakes since. 

 Luke patted Grover's head between his horns, then gave a good-bye hug to Annabeth, who looked like she might pass out. After Luke was gone, Percy told her, "You're hyperventilating."

"Am not." I shot her a pointed look but she didn't notice.

"You let him capture the flag instead of you, didn't you?,"

"Oh ... why do I want to go anywhere with you, Percy?" I wanted to yell at her saying 'anndddd the camp's most smartest and stubborn camper award goes to... Annabeth!," but I kept that to myself. I didn't think she's be too pleased if I did say that though. She stomped down the other side of the hill, where a white SUV waited on the shoulder of the road. Argus followed, jingling his car keys.

Percy picked up the flying shoes and looked at Chiron. "I won't be able to use these, will I?," He asked. Chiron shook his head. "Luke meant well, Percy. But taking to the air ... that would not be wise for you."

He nodded, disappointed, but then looked as if he had an idea. "Hey, Grover. You want a magic item?,"

His eyes lit up. "Me?" Pretty soon they laced the sneakers over his fake feet, and the world's first flying goat boy was ready for launch. "Maia!" he shouted. Grover got off the ground okay, but then fell over sideways so his backpack dragged through the grass.The winged shoes kept bucking up and down like tiny broncos.

"Practice," Chiron called after him. "You just need practice!,"

"Aaaaa!" Grover went flying sideways down the hill like a possessed lawn mower, heading toward the van.

Before Percy could follow, Chiron caught his arm. "I should have trained you better, Percy," he said. And I headed towards the van—but very slowly considering I wanted to get a glimpse of the infamous Anaklusmos.