Chapter 16: Playing Mythomagic with a 'Stranger'

A/N: Don't be shy on commenting in my book! I love when I read whatever you have to say. Also, If you like a certain chapter, remember to vote. Also, sorry for the lack of updates, I was just really busy. 

ENJOY THE CHAPTER <3

Chapter sixteen: Playing Mythomagic with a 'stranger'

Y/N POV: We huddled in the corner on some mildewed feed sacks, trying to ignore the smell and the heat and the flies. My stomache didn't throb so badly know but a headache started to hammer at the side of my head—probably caused by overheating.

Though we couldn't free the animals on the spot, we decided to help them another way. Percy found a water jug and refilled their bowls, then used one of my charms (because his sword was too short) to drag the mismatched food out of their cages.

Grover calmed the antelope down, I had offered to pick the lock off the animals' cages, and Annabeth cut the balloon of it's horn. She wanted to cut the gum out of the zebra's mane too, but we decided that would be too risky with the truck bumping around. 

We told Grover to promise the animals we'd help them more in the morning, then
settled in for night. 

He curled up on a turnip sack and I rested my head on Ares' backpack—trying to fall asleep (and also wondering if the lightning would zap me if I tiggered it in my subconscious) while Annabeth took another Double Stuffed Oreo and nibbled it half-heartedly.

Eavesdropping on their conversation, I could hear Percy trying to cheer himself up by muttering stuff about the fact that we were halfway to Los Angeles, which was actually pretty impressive if you thought about all the monsters trailing us.

Even though we were Halfway to our destination, It was only June fourteenth. The solstice wasn't until the twenty-first. We would have plenty of time...until the other quest members would decide that spending '1 night' in the lotus casino would be a great idea. 

—————

3rd Person POV: Percy was awoken by Grover shaking his shoulder. "The truck's stopped!," He declared "And we think they're coming to check on the animals!" 

"Hide!" Annabeth hissed and she put on her magic cap and disappeared from sight. Y/n his behind one of a cargo box while Grover and Percy had to dive behind turnip feed sacks.

The trailer doors creaked open and sunlight and heat poured in.

"Man!" one of the truckers said, waving his hand in front of his ugly nose. "I wish I hauled appliances." He climbed inside and poured some water from a jug into the animals' dishes.
"You hot, big boy?" he asked the lion, then disrespected the animal by splashing the rest of the bucket right in the lion's face.

The lion roared in indignation.

"Yeah, yeah, yeah," the man said, waving a hand dismissively.

Grover tensed. For a peace-loving can-eating herbivore, he looked downright murderous. The raven haired boy had to grab onto his arm for fear he would stomp right up to the Animal smuggler and bash him with his reed pipes.

The trucker threw the antelope a squashed-looking Happy Meal bag and smirked at the zebra. "How ya doin', Stripes? Least we'll be getting rid of you this stop. You like magic shows? You're gonna love this one. They're gonna saw you in half!"

The zebra—wild-eyed with fear—looked straight at Percy.

—————

Percy POV: There was no sound, but as clear as day, I heard it say "Free me, lord. Please."