My Name

ATTENTION: 'MY NAME' DRAMA SPOILER AHEAD

Web article

Why you shouldn't miss 'My Name', the series starring the kick-ass girl of the year

Revenge is woman

My Name is one of those realistic, down-to-earth, tough stories. Tough as hell. Premiering at the Busan International Film Festival in South Korea, it is a crime thriller directed by Kim Jin-min, director of 2004's Pride and Prejudice, and starring Chaeri of BTS. It is a story of pure revenge, but veered to the female side, with a very young girl at the center. My Name is an adrenaline-fueled, violent series that is a pleasure to follow.

"It's the least for a gangster's daughter." That's what Ji-woo Yoon (Chaeri) says after beating the crap out of a schoolmate who was bullying her. On her desk, in fact, she had put a bag with something that looked like cocaine in it, for the purpose of teasing her or, who knows, getting her called out of school. Ji-woo's reaction is violent, and without mercy. Soon after, when she is in her apartment, she receives a visit from her father, who has brought her a present for her birthday. But she, who does not accept his choice to be a criminal, refuses to see him and doesn't open the door for him. In the hallway, in front of that closed door, the man is murdered. The girl's guilt-ridden mission will be to find who killed him. Whatever it takes.

My Name rests entirely on the shoulders of the very young Chaeri and to her performance. She makes her acting debut embodying a role very different from what fans are used to seeing of her on stage. Unlike many equally young and pretty female colleagues who have chosen a career path propped up with sugary roles in sappy rom-coms, Chaeri opted to take on a far more uncomfortable role for her screen debut. Petite, her face graceful and sweet, she proves to be an actress who can bring to life the contrast between the delicacy of her age and status as a high school student, with the world she faces, and with the very characteristics of a tireless and indomitable fighter she manages to pull off. In the first scenes of the series we saw her getting ready for school, neat and elegant. All this before the surprising explosion of violence we witness at her school. And it is only the prologue to an endless spiral of violence. The action of My Name is tight, rhythmic, not giving a moment's respite. The protagonist moves to the rhythm of the beats of cold, pressing electronic music.

We see her juggling a noir-tinged story in which the very young Yoon Ji-woo must move not only deftly but also intelligently between two opposing organizations: the police organization, particularly Narcotics, and the gang of the mellifluous boss Choi Mu-jin, the best friend of Ji-woo's late parent. Hidden among them is the killer of the girl's father, and the search for the truth is as exciting as the bloody showdown.

"My Name" breaks free from the constraints of traditional Korean TV censorship, providing a platform for explicit depictions of violence, sex, and the exploration of intense emotions like love and hate. As a Netflix original production, the series offers a refreshing and unfiltered viewing experience. Since its debut on October 15, 2021, "My Name" has captivated audiences with its gripping storyline and Chaeri's remarkable acting debut.

The controversial themes and many parents' reaction to the TV series' debut trailer

Blog: Parenting teenagers

User_1: I just read the news that Chaeri is going to act in a TV series with highly debatable themes. I'm really concerned about my son, who is a huge fan of hers. How can we ensure that our children aren't negatively influenced by this kind of content?