Ginger Tea

❒ words: 1k+

summary: In which Chaeri can't sleep due to stomach ache

❒ prompts requested: 7. "You don't like me very much, do you?" | 50. "I can't sleep"

❒ warnings: Stomach ache

April 2013

April 2013

The thin walls of their dormitory allowed even the smallest noise to permeate, which meant that after 10PM they had to be extra careful about what they did or else they would get complaints from neighbors.

Yoongi was watching TV at a barely audible level, though the volume was so low as to be almost whisper-quiet. His arms and legs were still sore from training and all he wanted was to get some rest for the next day.

In his time as a trainee, he discovered that after an especially grueling day, his patience was shorter than it normally would be.

This included Chaeri's inharmonious crunching on chips, interrupting every important line of dialogue and making it impossible for Yoongi to concentrate.

He tried to ignore the sound, taking deep breaths to calm himself down. But as the minutes passed and the sound continued, he couldn't take it anymore. "Chaeri, can you please stop eating those chips?" he asked, his voice laced with irritation.

Chaeri looked up from her bag of chips, her face filled with surprise. "Why? I'm not bothering anyone" she protested.

"You're bothering me. And if you keep eating like that, you'll get a stomach ache" Yoongi replied, trying to keep his voice steady.

Chaeri rolled her eyes. "I'll be fine. I've eaten way more than this before" she said, popping another chip into her mouth.

Yoongi sighed, knowing that arguing with her would be useless. He turned his attention back to the TV, trying to ignore the sound of Chaeri's chewing.

"You don't like me very much, do you?"

"I don't like kids" Yoongi replied, turning to look at Chaeri with a raised eyebrow.

Chaeri pouted, feeling a little hurt. "I'm not a kid. I'm almost 15" she protested

"Almost doesn't count. You're still a kid" Took a moment before he started to talk again "It's just that I'm not used to being around someone your age"

Chaeri nodded in understanding, but couldn't help feeling a little disappointed. She had always looked up to Yoongi, admired his talent and hard work, and hoped that one day he would see her as an equal, not just a kid.

As the night wore on, Yoongi got up to use the bathroom, leaving Chaeri alone in the living room. She decided to finish off the second bag of chips - something she rarely allowed herself to do. But soon after, her belly started to grumble and ache. At first, thinking it would pass, Chaeri tried lying still in her bunk to no avail. The burning sensation only intensified until it felt like someone had driven a stake right through her gut.

Chaeri paced anxiously in the living room, eyes downcast and her brows furrowed. She was too uncomfortable to rest but hesitant to disturb Yoongi who sat transfixed on the couch with a remote in his hands, captivated by whatever show he was watching. Finally gathering enough courage, she approached him and softly murmured, "I can't sleep"

Yoongi turned his attention to her, noticing the discomfort etched on her face. "What's wrong?" he asked, his voice softening.

"My stomach hurts. I ate too many chips" Chaeri admitted, feeling embarrassed.

"I told you that would happen," Yoongi replied, shaking his head. "Come on, let's get you something to help settle your stomach."

He led her to the kitchen, opening and closing different cabinets as he searched for a packet of ginger tea. Finally, he found it, pulled out a teapot from a high shelf, and filled it with water from the sink. He set it on the stove with an almost silent click of the knob, and soon steam started to rise from its spout "This should help"

Chaeri watched him work in silence, touched by his kindness. "Thank you" she said when he handed her the cup of hot liquid.

Yoongi shrugged, but there was something tender about his expression. "It's no big deal. Just don't make a habit of it, okay?" he teased, breaking into a half-smile that softened his face.

Chaeri smiled at him, feeling at ease for the first time since her stomach started to ache. She watched as he poured the hot water into the cup with a teabag and handed it to her. She took a sip, the warm liquid soothing her insides.

Chaeri smiled back at him, feeling some of the tension leave her body as the heat of the tea trickled down her throat.

As they sat in companionable quiet, Chaeri couldn't help but feel grateful for Yoongi's presence; despite his gruff exterior, he had a kind heart and genuinely cared about the wellbeing of everyone in the group.

"You know, I'm not used to having someone look out for me like this" Chaeri said after a while.

Yoongi raised an eyebrow. "What do you mean?"

"My mom raised me and my brother to be independent — to solve our own problems" she explained with a slight shrug.

Yoongi nodded slowly, understanding what she was saying. "I get that...but sometimes it can be okay to rely on others — especially when you're not feeling well."

She took another sip of tea, the warmth spreading throughout her body "I guess you're right. Thanks for taking care of me tonight"

"Yeah, whatever" he replied, blushing slightly.

Chaeri chuckled softly at Yoongi's response, knowing that he wasn't comfortable with over-the-top displays of gratitude. As she finished her tea, Yoongi got up to clean the kitchen "Watch TV with me until you feel better"

Chaeri let out a content sigh and smiled when Yoongi invited her to join him on the couch. She shuffled over and nestled against his side. The soft hum of the television filled the room as their eyes focused on the screen, but soon Chaeri's gaze softened with a feeling of peacefulness and she started to drift off.

Eventually, Yoongi's own exhaustion caught up with him and he drifted off to sleep, Chaeri still nestled against his side.

As the night wore on, their breathing deepened, and the only sound in the room was the gentle hum of the TV.