Twenty

Tino's POV

"There he is! Your father said you went on a trip? I'm a little hurt I wasn't invited." Q spoke as he walked toward me. I hated that I kept this secret from Q. I should have told him, but it's better if only a handful of people know. This way it can't get out. Not that Q would tell anyone, other than his mate. But it's his mate I'm worried about. He can be a blabbermouth.

I was sitting in the family room watching a movie. Finally out of my episode. Which took longer than usual. It mostly lasts 3-4 days but this one lasted a week. An excruciatingly long week. My father got scared I wasn't going to be okay soon enough before the passing so he took it upon himself to postpone it. Which I think was the main cause of it lasting so long, because instead of waiting to tell me, he told me on day four. 

"Yeah man, just went into town, nothing crazy," I mumbled out and shrugged as he circled the couch to join me. 

"I'm sorry to hear that your passing got pushed back. This rogue situation is so fucked up." 

To keep the calm around the pack my father told everyone that the reason why my passing was delayed was because of the rogues. Was I upset? Yes. But am I also extremely relieved? Yes. I am.

"What did you do while you were gone?" He asked as he plopped himself on the couch next to me. I hated lying to him. Truly I did. But it had to be done.

"Nothing special went swimming. Walked around with the humans. It was quite relaxing."

"Man, next time you go. Bring me. I would love to see what it's like around humans." Q had a distant look on his face as he said that imagining what it would be like. 

Years ago we used to mingle with the humans, but when word started getting around the werewolves do indeed exist, no one believed them but we thought it best to go into hiding. Rather than risking someone believing them and then something bad happening. I had very few interactions with humans growing up but I have been around them more than other wolves. Seeing as some will never see any of them ever.

We fell into a comfortable silence as we continued to watch the movie, Monsters University. One of my absolute favorites might I add. 

"OH SHIT! That dude went to college with them? That makes sense why he hates them so much." Q screamed out and I looked at him confused. 

"Have you not seen this?" I asked him with a playfulness in my tone. 

"Nah, man. I don't watch kids' movies like you." I scoffed at his slight dig and turned my head back to the screen. I felt my phone buzz in my pocket and pulled it out to see who texted me.

WeirdoI heard you are back in town...glad to know you're okay. This is Koa.

I couldn't help the slight smile that was begging to appear. I never deleted his number and I never changed his name. But the last text message I had ever sent him, made my heart squeeze in sadness. I wonder if he read it, and if he had, how'd he felt? At the time I meant it, but now I'm not so sure I feel the same. But I can't imagine coming back to your phone and the last text from your mate said 'I wish I never met you'. That would break any man's heart to pieces. I should apologize...

Me: I know it's you. 

Me: Thanks.

I'm an idiot. I should have said more.

Weirdo: Did you go to the fair? It's a human tradition where they ride rides, and eat unhealthy food, lol.

Did this man just say lol? I never thought I'd see the day. I also had no idea what a fair was but I couldn't tell him that. I had to play along.