A life-changing question

It has been a couple of minutes since we arrived at our destination and it feels good. Buck chose a restaurant that I went to with the guys from the 110 whenever we wanted to celebrate anything. Being there with Buck brings all of the good memories back. I think he chose this place on purpose. At least Buck finally knows how to make a girl feel happy. It's funny that when Buck and I met he was a total jerk. Now he has turned himself around. There must have been someone before me. Someone to kick-start the process. Honestly, I don't know why I am thinking like that. I guess it is just curiosity. Right now I am supposed to be enjoying myself. I find myself watching with a smile as Buck orders our drinks.

"What's got you smiling?" Buck teases as he passes me my drink.

"Well, I'm thinking about how much you've changed. It's gotten to the point where I feel like there was someone before me," I explain. The thing is I am not going to be upset if that is the case.

"Yes there was someone but she went looking for herself and she never came back. So I moved on. The good thing about moving on is the fact that I found true love," Buck responds.

"That explains why you are worried about me. You don't want to lose me after being left alone. I promise you'll never have to worry about losing me," I get to work on reassuring him. Sure it is stupid to make a promise like that but we both love each other.

"Anyway we came here to enjoy ourselves," Buck replies. He is right. The past month and a half has been hard. Well for Buck and I anyway. Let's just say Buck driving me crazy was both the best and the worst thing to happen.

"Let's do that then," I say as I take a sip from my glass. As soon as the drink hits my lips I begin to relax. The bartender still knows how to make it just the way I like it.

"You seem happy now," Buck remarks.

"Well this is the place I used to go with the guys at the 110 and the bartender still knows how to make my drink the exact way I like it," I explained. It is at that moment that I am struck by one of the more interesting memories. It brings a smile to my face. Luckily Buck doesn't ask about it.

It has been a month since then and it is the season that I have been dreading. It is my first Christmas with Buck. The catch is we will both be working on Christmas day so we decided to get the Christmas festivities done on Christmas eve. Right now I am stressed. I have no idea what I want to get Buck.

"I'm telling you Hen. I have no idea. He seems to have everything he wants," I find myself venting to Hen.

"I'm sure Buck won't mind you asking. Look even if he doesn't know what he wants your instincts will point you in the right direction," Hen responds.

"Yes, but I feel embarrassed. We've been together for almost a year. I should be able to know what he wants but my instincts are unclear," I counter. I can feel my face going bright red just thinking about it. The thing is Hen is right. Whatever happens, happens. I just need to get something for him and Gavin.

"At least I know what I want to get for Gavin," I remarked. I am probably not the only one that is struggling. I bet Buck is freaking out. Either that or he has everything under control. I doubt it. We will find out in a couple of days. Hen gives me an understanding look.

"Ok I realise that I sound like a broken record but you just need to trust yourself," Hen says as she reaches for her drink. The thing is the more I think about the things that have happened to us in the last year the less I feel celebrating. Don't get me wrong we have had a lot of good times however I am struggling to keep my personal life separate from my work life. Hen looks at me dead in the eyes.

"You don't feel like celebrating do you?" Hen asks.

"Honestly I don't feel like celebrating with all of the crap going on. First Buck gets pinned under the truck and gets his leg crushed. Then the tsunami hits and to top it all off my mum comes back into our lives which triggers Gavin," I list the major events that have happened this year. Hearing me say them out loud makes me realise how lucky I am to be a part of the 118. Well, the last couple of weeks can only get better. It has been a few hours since my lunch date with Hen and I am about to enter our apartment but something gives me the feeling that I should knock. With a few swift movements, I rap my fist against the door. To my surprise, my mum answered it.

"Hey mum, what are you doing here?" I ask. I am confused as she had told me that she was moving to Texas.

"I know what you are thinking. I came back because I want to spend Christmas with my kids. Your boyfriend seems to think it is worth talking to Gavin about," She explains as she herds me in. There is something off in her voice. It's like she is defeated by something.

"Well I'm not going to say no but I'm not sure if I want to celebrate Christmas. I'll talk to Buck about it later," I announce. It still bothers me that we are celebrating when many others can't.

"But-,"

"Nothing mum. You won't understand," I say as I grab myself some lavender tea.

"I know more than you think. When I first met your dad he had a similar look on his face. It told me everything. In your case it's telling me that you feel like you shouldn't be celebrating when others can't," My mum says, reading my mind. Maybe mothers really do know best.

"It's true but you are the last person that I want to talk to," I retort. I just don't trust her. Something is telling me that she is going to leave me again.

"Umm... I'll get some takeout so you two can talk," Buck remarks as he grabs a few things.

"Well you know what we like," I reply as he awkwardly leaves. The room is hit by an awkward silence as the door closes behind Buck.

"I'm sorry this was a bad idea. I guess I should get going," She breaks the silence.

"No. At least stay for dinner. I should be the one apologising anyway. A lot has happened that you missed," I explain. Besides, I am the worst person when it comes to organising my emotions. I am not going to admit that part.

"Ok then. You can catch me up while we wait for your handsome hunk to get back," She teases. Oh god. At least Buck isn't here to hear that. I can feel my face go as red as the ambulance. After twenty minutes of waiting Buck is finally back. His arms are laden with Chinese food. With a few swift movements, Buck and I have the food laid out. Now that it is all distributed we fall into idle chit-chat. It is at that moment I come up with an idea for Buck's Christmas present. After an hour of painfully embarrassing stories, dinner comes to an end.

"Anyway, I should be going. I have some things to sort out tomorrow and I don't want to be tired," She excuses herself.

"I'll check with Gavin if it's ok for you to come over on Christmas Eve. Bye Mum," I tentatively say my goodbyes. As the door closes I make a beeline to Buck. I take a deep breath. I am relieved that that is over. Despite the fact that today was a good day, it was long. I flop on the couch. Buck quickly joins me.

"There's something bothering you," Buck remarks as he wraps his arm around my shoulders.

"What do you mean?" I ask.

"Ever since you came home you've been acting cold. Umm withdrawn is a better word," Buck is struggling to get his observation out.

"Honestly Buck this year has been Hell. It just hit me after seeing a lot of happy people," I explained. I sigh. It all started on the day that my father died. I realise that it is stupid but it feels weird as it will be my first Christmas without Dad at all. What Buck does next catches me by surprise. He lets go and he runs to our room. He soon comes back. It is at that moment that I notice a small velvet box.

"This is not the way that I wanted to do this but you need to be reminded of the good times," Buck says as he kneels down. I sit up. My heart is racing as this can only mean one thing. Buck is going to propose to me.

"Ella I know it has only been eleven months but you have changed me in those eleven months. I want to keep improving and the only way I can do that is if you are by my side. Ella Calder, will you marry me?" He asks as he opens the box to reveal a ring with a ruby encased by a silver band. I have a pretty good idea as to why he went with a ruby, not a diamond.

"Yes, Evan Buckley. Yes, I will marry you," I responded. He is right it has only been eleven months however Buck is the only man I want to be with. He has shown me what it is like to live in the moment and not in a bad way. With my answer, Buck gently places the ring on my right ring finger. The gesture brings the brightest smile to my face. It is the biggest smile I've shown since Dad died. Once Buck gets up he pulls me into the biggest bear hug imaginable. Maybe I can learn to live with my trauma or even heal. It will be a long road but with Buck by my side, I think I can make it work.