This Life We Choose

It has been a few days since I helped Pierre and I am actually cooking lunch for the crew. Since dinner was interrupted Bobby suggested that I should try and make lunch. Normally I'd get help at this point in the dish however I am still flying solo as the others are glued to the TV. It is as if they are expecting a piece of news.

"Honourable Judge Moreland was killed in an explosion. At this point, police suspect foul play," The news reporter shares the information that she has. As soon as I finish making the food I dish some up for myself. With a few swift movements, I squeeze myself between Buck and Howie. My actions get a grunt from Howie. What seals the deal for me is the fact that Buck wraps his free arm around me.

"Lunch is ready when you want it," I announce to the group bringing their news trance to an end. As the others get their share of the food I notice that Bobby is acting a little strange. It's as if he has seen something that he was not meant to see.

"Where did you learn to cook like that? The food is good," Eddie sounds like he is in heaven

"My Dad taught me everything I know. Including how to cook," I say.

"Eddie is right you know," Buck adds to the compliments. The thing is I cheated. I used the simplest recipe that my Dad taught me. I didn't want to do anything complicated as I am never sure when the signal bell will ring. After five minutes of eating the signal bell rings. Those that still have food drop their cutlery. We all make a beeline to our respective vehicles. Five minutes later we arrived at the scene. As we approach the house I notice the remnants of a parcel bomb near an injured woman. Hen and I tentatively approach the woman. As we get to work Athena arrives.

"So what have we got?" Athena gets to work on assessing the situation.

"She only has facial lacerations and she is in shock," I say. She is lucky. The bomb could have killed her but for some reason, it didn't.

"Do you mind if I ask her some questions?" Athena asks. Odd. She knows we have to take the patient to the hospital then she can ask all of the questions she likes. She seems desperate to talk to this woman for some reason. I wonder if it is connected to the fact that Bobby is acting strange.

"No, we have to take her to the hospital first," I replied. I honestly want to know what she is thinking. Oh well there is nothing that I can do about it.

"Thank you. Before you can ask I'll tell you later," At least she can tell that I am thinking about her. After fifteen minutes we are finally back at the firehouse. I have decided to ask Bobby what on earth is going on. It is unusual for both him and Athena to be concerned. First I am going to get Buck's opinion just in case I am making things up in my head.

"Hey, Buck did you notice Bobby has been acting concerned for the past two hours?" I brought it up.

"Yeah, I did, why?" He responds.

"I was going to talk to him about it, however, I wasn't sure if I was the only one to notice," I explained. With that, I begin my search for Bobby. After eleven long minutes, I have not found him anywhere. That can't be good. I find myself sitting at the dining room table. The sound of tapping rings through the dining area. The thing is I need to talk to Bobby however he is not here.

"You only tap when you are bothered by something. What's bothering you?" Howie checks on me.

"Ever since that news report about Judge Moreland being killed, Bobby has been acting concerned. I want to confront him about it but he is not here," I complained.

"He's just clearing some things with the higher-up. It might take a while," Howie explains. At least it is nothing sinister. After six hours of waiting there is still no sign of Bobby and my bother about the situation hasn't gotten any better. The signal bell rings. As soon as we get comfortable in our respective vehicles the radio crackles to life.