Trouble in the form of a new guy

It is the day after my first date with Buck and I am currently watching for him on the balcony overlooking the garage. At the same time, I am observing the new guy. He looks a little lost. He also looks well-groomed. I notice that he has the swagger of someone who joined the military. Maybe he was actually in the military. I shrug the thought off as that is none of my business.

"Excuse me it's rude to stare," the new guy calls out breaking me out of my thoughts.

"Well, you look lost. Is there any chance I could help you?" I respond. I find it mildly amusing that I am the one who made the first contact.

"Yes, I'm looking for Captain Nash. Is he here?" The man asks.

"yes just give me a second," I reply as I leave. Thirty seconds later I join the rookie. Wow, he is really good-looking. The thing is Buck already confessed. Besides for all I know he could be a meathead. After making it down to the bottom of the stairs I am intercepted by the new guy.

"Hello, I'm Eddie Diaz," He introduces himself. So far he doesn't give me a meathead vibe.

"Ella Calder. Bobby's office is this way," I gesture for him the follow me. After another thirty seconds, we made it to Bobby's office. I knock on the door. Bobby gestures for us to come in.

"I see you've met Eddie," Bobby remarks. He seems surprised that I was the first to meet him.

"Yes, can I do anything for you captain?" I ask just in case there are any chores that need to be done.

"Just be alert for the signal bell," Bobby replies. So just the usual.

"well welcome, Eddie," I remark as I leave. Now for the fun part pranking the newbie. As I head back to the main rec area I get to work on coming up with ideas. As soon I take a seat at the dining table an idea springs to mind.

"what are you thinking about, Ella?" Buck asks as he sits down next to me.

"well we have a new guy and I'm thinking of the best way we can prank him," I explain. I know that my idea will need two people to pull off and Buck is the perfect person to help me.

"We?" Buck is a little confused. I am not surprised.

"Yes, the idea I have in mind will take two of us," I try my best to rope him in. Before I can explain my plan Bobby and Eddie join us. Bobby seems to have a look of pride on his face. It's not hard to understand why. He is like a father to this group.

"Eddie may I introduce you to Even Buckley," Bobby is quick to make the introductions.

"Only call him Even when he is in trouble. He prefers to be called Buck," I jump in as Buck shoots me a death glare. After a few minutes of idle chatter the signal bell rings. With that, we head to the garage. After a seven-minute drive, we made it to a partially collapsed building. As soon as we leave our respective vehicles Bobby gets to work on delegating the tasks.

"Ella, Eddie take the north side. Chim you and Buck have the south side," Bobby commands. After a minute of preparation, we get to work on rescuing survivors. After ten minutes of no luck, we make it to the highest floor. I freeze at the sight of a familiar face. It's my brother Gavin. What on earth is he doing in LA? I'll have to ask him later as Eddie and I need to rescue him. There is just one problem. He is panicking. Why does that make things worse? Well, he has ASD and it seems to amplify his emotions.

"Gavin I'm coming," I call out to him. Luckily for me hearing my voice seems to calm him down enough for him to be responsive. As I make the first step I notice something wrong.

"Ella stop. That area is too unstable but I have an idea," Eddie has noticed too.

"What is your idea?" I tentatively ask as Gavin may not be able to do it. I just hope for Gavin's sake we can do something. I quickly inform Eddie of the fact that Gavin has ASD.

"Gavin we are going to throw you a rescue rope and you are going to tie it around you in a basic harness. If you fall your sister and I will catch you," Eddie gently explains his plan. He must have experience with these kinds of things. Eddie's not a meathead after all.

"Here," I say as I pass the rescue rope to Eddie. With one swift movement, he has enough rope for Gavin to tie around his waist. Gavin is surprisingly responsive as he ties the rope around his waist. With that out of the way, Gavin begins the journey across the floor. After a minute and a half, Gavin made it. Relief sets in. However, I have the hardest part to deal with.

"Gavin, is there anyone else on this side of the building?" Eddie asks beating me to punch.

"No, they would be on the south side because of the office party that I skipped," Of course, Gavin skipped the party. The thing is that may have saved his life.

"Bobby most of the casualties are on the south side should Eddie make his way there?" I use the radio to pass on the message.

"Ella you need to go as well," Bobby responds.

"No, I'm coming down with a casualty," I counter. I need to check on Gavin just to make sure that he is alright. Gavin gives me a dirty look.

"Eddie you need to get to the south side, Gavin you are coming with me," I add. The thing is I know he is not going to come willingly with me as the last time he was in an ambulance with me it did not end well.

"but I'm fine you join Eddie," Gavin urges.

"Look Gavin, your sister wants to make sure you're all good. We already have a paramedic on that side of the building," Eddie gently explains. With that, I gently grab his wrist.

"Ok fine but it's only because you're my sister and you worry too much," He retorts. He is not wrong but it's a part of being a good sister. After five minutes of painstakingly making our way through the building, we made it back to the ambulance.

"What happened to your wrist?" Gavin asks having noticed the brace as I check on him.

"Clifeside rescue gone wrong. I'll explain later," I respond. Luckily for me, the only problems with Gavin are the lingering physical symptoms of his fight or flight mode gone into overdrive.

"you're good to go," I give him the all-clear. Now for the hard part. Waiting for the others to get rescued. After an hour on the scene keeping everything under control we are finally back at the firehouse. I find myself pulling Eddie aside.

"thank you," I find myself thanking Eddie as he was the one that managed to get Gavin calm enough to rescue him.

"For what? I was only doing my job," Eddie is clearly confused.

"For calming my brother down. Aside from me, you are the only one that can calm him down. It could have ended in disaster if I didn't calm him down," I explain.

"I've had practice. I haven't told anyone this but I have a son with cerebral palsy so I have experience with meltdowns," Eddie says as he goes for the invisible itch on his neck or as I call it the embarrassment itch.

"Ella I need your help," Buck calls out from the balcony.

"Excuse me, Eddie. Buck needs my help," I excuse myself. Well, it turns out Eddie is different to the military meathead that I was expecting. Having Eddie around will prove to be interesting.