Things are looking up, kinda

A/N This is an episode tie-in for the episode 'The New Abnormal' however I am giving the chapter an alternate title as I have already dealt with the pandemic. I also need to add a trigger warning for graphic depictions of gorey injuries just in case you are sensitive to those kinds of things.  Since this is an Author's note I am going to remind you to vote and/or comment if you are enjoying this story.

It has been four long months since then and luckily for the entire first responder community, the pandemic has died down. Of course, we still have protocols in place however they are more relaxed. For example, we only need to wear PPE if it is a confirmed COVID case. There is a bonus to the easing of restrictions. The wedding venue that Buck and I have chosen has opened up again. There is just one problem. They have a backlog of other ceremonies to get through. Not that it matters too much. Right now I am making sure the ambulance is ready to go as I have a hunch that something along the lines of a serious natural disaster is going to come. It usually happens around this time of the year. Before I can do anything a rumble ripples through the firehouse. Everyone comes to attention.

"What was that? It must have been at least a four," I ask even though the answer is obvious. Either way, it spells danger.

"It felt like a dud. I wouldn't put it above a three," Eddie responds as he nonchalantly walks by with tools. After reaching his destination he places them back in the truck. I know Eddie doesn't panic but he will once he realises that we are going to get swamped. 

"Hey Buck no cheating," Howie remarks as he notices Buck on his phone. Honestly, I'm glad that he is looking for news on the quakes. The reason why I am glad is because everyone excluding Howie thinks I am being paranoid about the natural disaster season. In fact, the only natural disaster that we haven't faced is a hurricane. At least there are no volcanic fault lines in Los Angeles

"Well, Caltech's been tracking microquakes for a few days now," Buck confirms, causing Howie and Eddie to glance at me. Before I can say I told you so Bobby comes past. He does not look happy. That all but confirms it. We are now on an all-hands-deck call.

"That didn't feel micro to me," He says as he makes a beeline to his office. Like me, he knows we are going to be busy. At least no one has said the Q word. Someone should. It would spice things up a little. To be honest, things are pretty hot already. After a few tense minutes, the signal bell goes. With that, I pull my legs back into the ambulance. It is going to be a long day. After nine minutes of tense driving, we made it to the scene. If it weren't for the fact that it was a real-life emergency I'd be laughing. Unfortunately, this is a time when real life is stranger than fiction. As soon as our boots hit the ground we have our masks on.

"Buck, Eddie I want you two to make sure the bus is secure from the outside. Ella, Chim we are pulling the passengers out," Bobby orders as we make our way to the elevator. After a couple of minutes Howie, Bobby and I made it to the floor where the bus hit. While we were in the elevator Buck gave us the news we'd all been dreading. One of the many dams had burst. The debris forced the bus into the building. As soon as we leave the elevator we get to work. Howie checks on a woman while Bobby and I assess the situation.

"In here. Help!" One of the victims shouts.

"Hey, we're trapped," Another called out. They are all getting impatient. I can't blame them but we have to be careful.

"Help. Get us out of here," A third victim screams out. We need to get the victims out now. Both Bobby and I come to the realisation at the same time. There is just one problem. The bus begins to shift.

"LAFD we will get you out. Just don't move. I've got people working to stabilise the bus," Bobby orders and then goes on to explain his orders. I just hope Buck and Eddie can get it done quickly. I've noticed some major injuries. I need to treat them as soon as possible. For some reason, I am getting a little restless. To distract myself I head to the one victim that I can check. The bus driver. I pull myself up to the window. To my horror, the driver is pinned by the shoulder. Luckily for me, she is alert. It makes my life a lot easier.