Ella begins (Part 2)

A/N There will be fewer time skips in this chapter. There will also be a trigger warning due to major character death and intense emotions. Feel free to skip this chapter if you are sensitive to those things.

It has been a year since I joined the LAFD and right now I am hoping that I can get lunch sorted before another call. The good thing is I managed to get the bulk of it done before the previous call. I just need to add the finishing touches. It is at that moment that I am joined by Daniel.

"Hey Ella do you know where the captain is? I've been looking for him everywhere," He asks.

" You won't find him today. He's taken this shift off. Gavin needed some extra help," I explain.

"Do you when whatever your cooking will be done?" Daniel asks as he nicks a strand of paster.

"It's not going to be done anytime soon if you are pinching it," I tease which manages to make me giggle. After a couple of minutes, I finished what I was doing. We are joined by Sean and some of the other firefighters.

"Lunch smells good and by the way Ella you have a cute giggle," Sean remarks. The thing is he has a crush on me. Everyone in the firehouse can see it. Even my dad. He has strongly warned against us dating. Luckily for him, I am not interested in dating someone like Sean. He is an idiot who always gets himself in trouble.

"If you are trying to flirt with me I'm not interested," I say for what feels like the billionth time.

"Me flirting? I would never try anything like that with the captain's daughter," Sean retorts. He is just digging his grave. After a few glances, I speak up.

"My dad is not here so you don't have to worry about ladies first and stuff like that," I announce as we all begin the process of dishing up. As soon as we take our seats the signal bell rings. It doesn't take long for us to get to our respective vehicles.

"110 this is dispatch we have a five-alarm fire at 16 Monroe Drive," The dispatcher's voice sounds over the radio. My heart sinks. The address is where I live. Daniel can see the worry on my face.

"Ella, are you alright?" Daniel turns his attention to me.

"I'll be fine. It's just 16 Monroe Drive is the address of the apartment block that I live in," I explain. So long as Gavin and Dad made it out. Knowing Dad he would want to rescue as many people as he can. After the slowest five minutes of my life we have made it to the scene and the building is well ablaze. We hit the ground running.

"Ella, Daniel I want you to help triage the casualties," Our second in command gets to work on distributing orders.

"Who is the incident commander?" I ask as we are joined by a firefighter from station 118.

"That would be me. Captain Bobby Nash of the 118," the new commer introduces himself.

"I want everyone to work in teams of two. Make sure you don't miss anyone," Bobby orders. The others get to work on their respective tasks. After five agonising minutes, I notice Gavin who is stumbling from the building. He is overcome by the smoke. I sprint up to him with my supplies.

"Gavin, where is Dad?" I ask as I get to work on treating him.

"He went back to get Cindy. She was trapped," Gavin is barely able to get his response out without sputtering. I knew this was going to happen. I basically drag Gavin to the triage area where Bobby is.

"Hey, Captain Nash my dad Captain Calder is still up there. He was helping our paraplegic neighbour Cindy. They'll be on the fifth floor," I say as I grab Bobby's attention.