Buck begins (Buck's POV)

I am beyond pissed at Maddie. She invited our parents from Pennsylvania to LA without telling me. In the aftermath of our first family dinner in a while, I found out something that I wasn't supposed to. It was all because of the fact that they gave Maddie a collection of mementos from her childhood. I am trying my best to hide the fact that I am pissed from Ella but she was there so it is turning into a struggle. What is bothering me the most is the fact that my parents haven't told me what is going on.

"Buck, you should talk to Maddie about what's bothering you. She'll have the answers you need," Ella remarks. She is right but it is turning out to be impossible for me to confront Maddie. What if I hear something that I don't want to hear?

"But you don't under-,"

"You feel betrayed. I know what you are going through. At least you have the chance to get answers," Again she is right.

"To be honest Ella I'm scared of what I will find," I voice my concerns. My parents and I are already on shaky grounds but what if I find out the truth and it makes things worse? What if the truth forces Ella and me apart? The thought only makes my misery grow. A sigh falls from my mouth as Ella pulls me into a hug.

"Whatever happens Buck I will be with you. You gave me this ring for a reason," Ella seems to put my mind at ease. It has been an hour since then and I am finally confronting Maddide. The first thing she does is hand me a photo of a kid on a bicycle. It looks like the bicycle that Maddie used to teach me how to ride. A memory of what could only be described as one of the worst flashes across my mind. It was the day that my parents discovered me using that bike. They spent the rest of the day arguing.

"His name is Daniel. Daniel was our older brother. He was seven years old when you were born. He was gone a year later. That's why you don't remember him," Maddie tells me the story of what really happened. I stare into space. That explains why Mum and Dad were arguing that day.

"How did he die," The question falls from my mouth before I have time to think.

"Juvenile leukaemia," Maddie responds. It is at that moment that I notice the look of regret on Maddie's face. I want to hate her but none of this was her fault.

"He got sick after that photo was taken," A sigh falls from my mouth as Maddie continues the story.

"Our lives changed forever after that. Three years of hospitals and doctors. They tried everything but nothing worked," Maddie says. She is on the verge of tears. There is one thing that is bothering me though.

"I still don't understand why no one told me. I mean told me that I had a brother," the only thing I feel now is confusion and anger. A part of me wants to throw something.

"They were in shock after he died. They packed up his things. We moved town. They made me promise never to tell you," With that, I get up. I don't want to face the truth. Not without Ella. I find myself staring out of the window as I try to wrap my head around the news that I have been told.

"It doesn't make any sense," I said. I hate that my parents put me in this position. At least I have some clue as to why they have been distant.

"They were grieving Buck. I think they still are," Maddie gets to work on defending them. I don't get why they are bothering as they were the ones that put us in this mess. I glance over at Maddie and she is on the verge of crying. I can't blame her as it was a terrible thing that happened. It didn't have the best consequences either.

"So I was born in the middle of all of that," I say as I start pacing around.

"Of him being sick," I confirm. Maddie reluctantly nods.