Chapter 4: Understanding

Rage is welling in my chest, I can't just watch and do nothing! Shiro and Lance are suffering while I stand and cower in the shadows. I won't stand by anymore! 

Pidge is distracting Sendak but it fails and she is grabbed by Sendak. 

SENDAK: "You really though your little hologram trick would work with me?" 

I watch as Keith and Allura rush through the bridge, I cower away again. I feel useless again, I don't want to stand by but if I go out there, I will be no help. I have no weapon, no lion. 

SENDAK: "Stand back!" I watch as Lance emerges from his painful sleep and strikes Sendak with his bayard. "NO!" Sendak's robotic arm is disconnected. Keith attacks Sendak again and he is trapped. They've won.

KEITH: "Lance are you okay?"

LANCE: "We did it. We are a good team."

KEITH: "Where's Y/N? Wasn't she outside with us before all of this happened?"

ALLURA: "No she stayed in the castle long before the explosion. Has no one seen her?"

I don't know whether to come out and face their judgment, I didn't do anything. I am so ashamed. I cowered away again, again, and again. This was the last time. The shadows will hide me no longer. 

I come out of the place I've been hiding and try my best to keep my head held high, but my face blushes red as I feel their stares land on me.

SHIRO: "Y/N are you ok? We couldn't find you." He places a hand on my shoulder and I look up in shock. 

No judgment, no lecture? No beating?

KEITH: "What happened to your arm?" I stare at my open wound, redness covered my hand.

Y/N: "Wow. I did not notice." I guess having been hurt so much, I didn't notice the pain. I don't even know when that could've happened.

PIDGE: "How could you not know? It's bleeding so much!" 

◈◈◈▣▣◈◈◈▣▣◈◈◈

Lance wakes up from the cryo pod and everyone hugs him in joy, I stand away, I still don't know them that well. They seem like good people, but I can't trust them yet, no one has proven their intentions to be good. The shadows welcome me with open arms, I ignore it and edge towards the light. The darkness may have hid me once, but no more. The light is where I stand now. Among those who fight and stand up against those who oppose them. 

LANCE: "I will only truly well once Y/N and Keith give me a hug." Everyone looks at us who are both standing away from the emotions, only now do I realise he wasn't hugging Lance either. I blush as red as my trousers and I edge back a little but not close enough to be away from the shadows. "How's your arm Y/N?"  The sudden change of the subject is refreshing.

Y/N: "It's fine. I'm more concerned about you." He smiles cheekily at me and winks slowly.

LANCE: "Aww, were you worried about me?"

Y/N: "Don't get a big head, or after I beat the crap out of you, you're head won't fit in the cryo pod." I feel my face burning in embarrassment at his comment.

We all laugh and I begin to feel more at ease around the paladins. At least they gave me a weapon until we can make one more suited to me. 

I think, finally I have a... family? Somewhere I feel safe, home.