Chapter 32: Trials of Marmora

I was just as shocked as Kolivan was at what I said. I shied away behind Keith as I felt my face burning in embarrassment.

KOLIVAN: "What did you say?" The look on his face was less of anger than of shock.

Y/N: "Nothing." Not my smartest excuse but the blades are untrusting enough, I don't think they'd believe any real reason I came up with.

The look on Kolivan's face turned back to his cold, calloused look, as he looked at Keith and Shiro.

KOLIVAN: "The trials of marmora. Should you survive, you may keep the blade and its secrets will be revealed."

SHIRO: "Survive? Keith this is crazy, if they're not going to help us, let's just get out of here."

KEITH: "I'm not going anywhere. I need to do this."

KOLIVAN: "Antok, give the boy the blade."

As Antok gives Keith the blade, his glare towards him is icy cold.

ANTOK: "We will meet again."

KEITH: "Can't wait."

KOLIVAN: "These trials end in one of two things. Knowledge, or death."

It's that motto, which was inscribed on the stick left by Ellaria. She really was here.

Keith has begun the trials, we watch as he fights with all his strength, I know Shiro doesn't entirely understand. But I do, I too want answers, answers that I don't know how to find. The only lead I have is here. The blades, but they don't seem too keen to give out answers so easily.

Someone grabs my hand and covers my mouth so I can't yell, I'm pulled out from the room Shiro is waiting in. I struggle to reach for him as the door closes in front of me.

VOICE: "Be calm, I'm not here to hurt you."

The person lets go of me and I immediately turn around and press my knife against their neck. It's Kolivan.

Y/N: "There is seriously something wrong with you blades." I slowly move my blade from his neck, keeping it at a close enough distance to him.

KOLIVAN: "You said knowledge or death earlier. How do you know of our secrets?" His face is cold and untrusting as he questions me.

Y/N: "I thought there was only one way to attain knowledge with you blades, you'll have to fight for that answer." I don't feel particularly obligated to answer his questions, especially since he's making Keith fight for his.

KOLIVAN: "We used to have an agent a lot like you, always arguing, never following orders, just like how you concealed that dagger and brought it here." His look doesn't change, still as untrusting as ever.

Y/N: "If I ask you a question and you answer it, I will answer yours."

KOLIVAN: "Hmm, seems like a fair negotiation. Fine, go ahead."

Y/N: "What happened to Ellaria?"

His face turns to something like shock and anger.

KOLIVAN: "How do you know that name?" He reaches for his blade and it grows, the edge pressed against my chest.

Y/N: "Answer my question first." His blade presses harder against me, "Fine, she saved me from my imprisonment on a galra cruiser. That's how." I don't know whether she was liked or hated by the blades based on his reaction, so telling him she's my sister doesn't seem smart.

KOLIVAN: "I won't pry into that." Be sighs, releasing his blade, a look of Solemn regret spilling across his untrusting face, I can feel the pain he feels.