Chapter six

Apollo never showed up.

It was the morning of my wedding, and my groom remained unchanged.

And my people still thought he was marrying a cheater. 

I stayed silent all through preparations, worried that I may cry or throw up or both if I opened my mouth.

It all felt like a fever dream, and every morning up until now, for a couple split seconds I would have the bittersweet thought that it really was just my imagination.

But no. Reality hit every single time.

And today it hit the hardest.

At least I would see my father today, even if he believed the rumours to be true. Maybe I could convince him they weren't before he walked me down the aisle to my demise, call the wedding off. Help me find Apollo.

I simply wasn't ready for this. I was in so much pain. Apollo's words rang through my head; "Just imagine where we'll be a week today."

Lord, I felt so bad, even if none of this was my fault. The mere notion that Apollo may think I would betray him in such a fashion was enough to make me suffer unbearable guilt.

And by the end of today, I would be a wife.

"There you go, Princess." Lisa solemnly said. "All ready to go." 

I raised my head to look at myself in the mirror and almost burst into tears when I saw my reflection. My dress fit me perfectly, my hair silky, my veil stopping at my shoulders. I began to fondle with it, then smooth down my dress. How I wished the love of my life were here to see me now, in the dress that we had laughed over a week ago.

This was all for him. All of this attire, for him.

Except it wasn't, was it? Not anymore.

I felt every limb in my body shake with nerves as I approached my father who was currently waiting behind the curtains for me. He looked directly ahead, not even glancing towards me. 

I stood beside him and looked in the same direction. I had to keep my knees from buckling underneath my weight.

"Father..." I began, whispering as the bittersweet music played. "It's not true." I assured. "Those rumours, I mean. They're not true. I didn't- I wouldn't, I hope you know that. No, I know you know that. They were never true, but I simply didn't say anything, because I was scared, and it lead to this." 

I got no response, and took it as an invitation to keep going.

"Father, I know you never liked Apollo, and I know you probably like Link even less, but I can promise you that I would never do such a thing. I try to be noble every day of my life, and-" I had to pause to gather my breath and keep my tears at bay. "Well, it's been really quite difficult trying to handle all of this, having to marry the boy I hate the most when it should have been the man I loved the most, and I could really use some help, so-" I took in a deep breath, trying to control my shaky manner. "It would be really, really nice if you could say something?"

My father took a couple painful moments to process this, but still didn't look at me. 

After what seemed like hours, he spoke to me for the first time since I was fifteen. "Happy birthday, Zelda."

So that was it?

So my father was going to hand me over to some empty-headed idiot without even a word of advice?

Before I could respond, the curtains swung open as my father linked arms with me and paced me down the aisle.

As people rose, I heard whispering and felt looks of shame scan ever inch of my body. I glanced at Link quickly, who was stood with his hands behind his back, looking down. He looked as though he had just walked out of a funeral.

My father, once we had reached the end of the aisle, let go of my arm without a goodbye and left the hall entirely. Shame practically radiated off his body.

Link looked up at me, and in doing so, grimaced subtly before straightening up his back.

I felt similar, looking at him.

At least there was still that, I suppose. That was the only consistent part of this godforsaken marriage.

At least we would remain each other's enemies.

Right?